Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for cab advice.

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Rowka, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Some months back I bought a refurbished an old Traynor YBA-3
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=180124&page=1&pp=20&highlight=traynor

I started using it with my 1986 Carvin 2x15 (loaded with EV's) but I'm not satisfied with the combination.

With the 15's, this amp sounds muddy and woofy.
    I've played the Traynor through an Avatar 2x10. It sounded much better, but I need more volume than the 210 can give me.

I've noticed that there is a 10 year old Ampeg SVT810E for sale locally for $400 that I'm tempted to try out. Will this combination be tighter than the 215?

FWIW: The 215 Carvin is very tight and punchy if I use an RBI - compressor - 1400i to feed it.

Another FWIW - I'm not really in the market for another CAB. This is more like opportunity GAS.

Any thoughts?

2. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    No opinions?

3. bad_andy

bad_andy

Sep 21, 2005
    Omaha, NE
    I love my Avatar 2x12. It will handle 1000 watts at 4 ohms and has plenty of low end by itself. They say it's their best sounding stand alone cabinet. I've used it with an Ampeg SVT II tube amp and an Acoustic Image solid state head and it sounds great with both of them. :D They also offer the same cabinets with Neodynum speakers for more power handling.

4. xb100

xb100

Mar 24, 2004
    NH, In
    Rowka, I suggest that if you like that vintage tube sound, to go and try out that ampeg 810 with your amp and bass.

It's the only sure fire way you will know if you like that sort of tone.

-Rob

5. Rowka

Rowka Supporting Member

Dec 9, 2002
    Jacksonville, FL
    Yeah, I know. I'm just looking for some cofirmation/validation. ;)

6. wall of doom

wall of doom

Sep 17, 2005
    Texas
    just a thought..why not try a 4x10 cab with your 2x15? You could always try out a 8x10 to see if it's the sound you want.