1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for Cab advice

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by vibrantsociety, Feb 26, 2008.

1. vibrantsociety

vibrantsociety

Feb 26, 2008
    SEATTLE!!
    Hi, awesome forum here! Hope it's helpful.

Anyway, I have an SVT-4PRO Ampeg head and I'm looking for a new cab. I currently have an Ampeg 410 and am looking to upgrade to an 8x10 Cab. I found one on craigslist for about 200 bucks. Its a Behringer ULTRABASS BA-810, I'd like to know if anyone here has had any experience with it and if the sound is as good as Behringer and other sources make it out to be?

I play in a LOUD rock band and need to compete with a LOUD guitarist. :) So, bass-ically (no pun intended) I'm looking for somewhat of a go ahead here, I know its a great deal but I wanted a second opinion. Couldn't find much in the Gear Review section. Thanks in advance for any help!

-Ryan:bassist:

2. EJW.

EJW.

Feb 26, 2008
    Berhinger may be able to produce fairly cheap products, but there is a reason for this. Their equipment is not of the highest quality, especially with the very nice head you are using. I would also recommend not to use Craig's List but to first view a product in person. All pieces of equipment are different despite identical models. Also, you will want to try the SVT and your bass with a cab to make certain that the sound is exactly what you want.

-EJW

3. jacostilllives

jacostilllives

May 4, 2004
    How much are you looking to spend?

4. avoid behringer! it would do NO justice to your ampeg head! definitly save more!
    see if you cant snag a used ampeg 8x10 later

perhaps consider 2 4x10 cabs instead.. do you can keep the one you have and then the other later when you can afford it (also easier load)

5. JEDI BASS

JEDI BASS Supporting Member

Jan 26, 2008
    Knoxville, TN
    Yeah, I bought a brand new Behringer amp once, despite a warning from the sales-guy at Guitar Center. I wanted to biamp (cheaply) and needed another amp to pair w/ my SVT 3. It powered up fine, and worked. But, it wouldn't turn off, LOL. That, combined with the warning, was enough for me! I took it back and saved up for a used SVT 4 I found on ebay.

A side note, 8x10s IMO (and according to factory specs) aren't the best cabs for low B reproduction, if you play a 5 or more stringed bass. The 410hlf by Ampeg gets lower than any 4x10 out there, if the specs are correct, anyways, and lower than most 18s too. I've played thru 2 powered by an SVT 4 and later a Carvin B1500.... major low frequency response THUNDEROUS!!!

Look into Peaveys cabs, if you def want an 8x10. They've got great quality and sell affordably used 'cause the name is not as big as Ampeg or Eden, etc. Good luck, JJ

6. bassblast

bassblast

Feb 25, 2008
    NY/NJ
    My Son got the 410 4 ohm. Ran the SVT PRO III first gig.
    POP!!!!!

7. vibrantsociety

vibrantsociety

Feb 26, 2008
    SEATTLE!!
    Wow! Thanks for all the feedback... Glad I didn't buy it. I'm definitely going to save up for the Ampeg 8x10. I know it's going to be with me for the long-haul and not crap out after 6months or whatever.

I'm actually going to save up first for a new Warwick Corvette Standard.

On a side note, has anyone ever ran a BBE sonic maximizer through their rig? If so, was it a notable difference in tone?

-Ryan:bassist:

8. vibrantsociety

vibrantsociety

Feb 26, 2008
    SEATTLE!!
    Hopefully around $800, which I think should be enough for an Ampeg 8x10.

:ninja:

9. vibrantsociety

vibrantsociety

Feb 26, 2008
    SEATTLE!!
    so i ended up getting the ampeg 8x10 and boy am i sure glad i did. :D

here are some pics of the new setup.

Attached Files:

10. vibrantsociety

vibrantsociety

Feb 26, 2008
    SEATTLE!!
    Funny thing about this too, is I found a friend selling the 8x10 so i bought that and found a BBE online for 10 bucks(!) and all it needed was the fuse door, which i found for about 5 dollars extra. Now too after waiting things out and waiting for the right deals, I found a warwick corvette standard for 500 bucks on craigslist! Im super stoked, the tone of that ampeg is already outstanding with a cheap bass, but with a warwick (and hopefully soon a thunderbird :smug: ) its going to sound AWESOME!!! WOOO!!

11. Bryan316

Bryan316 Banned

Dec 20, 2006
    Detroit
    I want to warn you with the heaviest concern, against getting that hack Behringer 810 cab. It is simply awful. Hissy and noisy even with the horn turned off, terribly muddy sound, and farts out quickly even with an Ampeg SVT3PRO pushing some decent lows into it.

Stay away.

12. vibrantsociety

vibrantsociety

Feb 26, 2008
    SEATTLE!!
    :)

13. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Jul 22, 2007
    Dallas, TX
    Happy ending.