1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

looking for carvin bx500 users

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by poomwah, Jan 17, 2012.

1. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    I've got about a month left before I can buy my amp. Unless I get "talked out of it", I'm going to get a BX500.
    I'm looking for input from guys that have them or had them. Looking for the usual. Have you had any problems with it? Do you have any regrets, etc ec.
    Thanks guys

2. Febs

Febs Supporting Member

May 7, 2007
    Philadelphia, PA
  3. 77 StingRayBass

77 StingRayBass

Sep 15, 2011
    Here's my Dos Centavo's...
    The BX500, so far, has been a dynamite amp. As Febs has posted read thru the threads, read reviews, and then, if it's the amp that will do what you need, BUY IT! Plenty of EQing options, tube/S.S. bypass switch,5.8 pounds, and PLENTY OF POWER!

4. I'm lovin mine. If 500 watts is enough power for you and you want tons of tone shapping with a tube pre option and weighs a little over 5 lbs that will fit in a gig bag, then I think you will love it too.

5. MyMusic

MyMusic

Jun 1, 2010
    Dover, De
    I've had mine for 14 months and no problems. Also have a Carvin bass, other bass amps, cabs, and a guitar amp. No problems with anything.

6. poomwah

poomwah

Jan 26, 2008
    thanks guys

7. uglybassplayer

uglybassplayer

Aug 24, 2001
    New Jersey
    Bought mine over a year and a half ago from another TB'er... Not a single hiccup. Love the versatility. Plenty of power.

8. ::::BASSIST::::

::::BASSIST:::: Progress Not Perfection.

Sep 2, 2004
    Vancouver, BC Canada
    I have the bx1500... its bigger brother and quite like it.

However, I have read that a number of problems have occurred with the bx500.

9. jnewmark

jnewmark Just wanna play the groove. Supporting Member

Aug 31, 2006
    Stax 1966
    Third St. Cigar Records staff musician.
    +1 on the BX1500. If you can save a little more dough, the BX1500 is indeed a very louder BX500, with a few more options.

10. Laurent

Laurent Supporting Member

May 21, 2008
    Napa, California
    I just saw the BX500 are on sale for $379. That's a crazy low price for this amp.

11. braud357

braud357 Supporting Member

Jul 1, 2010
    Gonzales, LA
    I love mine ! I have used it with a 1-12", 2-10", and my Kustom "custom" 2-10" + 2-12" cabinet - sounds great with them all ! A little amp with a big sound !

12. I have been in love with my BX1200 ever since I got it (shortly after they came out). The bx500 is a great lightweight solution and is almost as versatile in every way, plus I like the added tube. I have been thinking of testing out how different tubes effect the tone, but haven't quite felt like messing with it yet...

13. chucko58

chucko58

Jan 17, 2002
    Silicon Valley, CA, USA
    I paid for all my gear myself. Well, me and MasterCard.
    Great versatile sounding and extremely portable amp head. Needs occasional TLC with contact cleaner though, and the bypassable tube circuit doesn't change the tone very much.

14. Tanner5382

Tanner5382 Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2010
    Canton, GA
    I have one, and I love it. Very versatile, very light, and very cheap.

15. MarTONEbass

MarTONEbass

Jun 19, 2009
    Norton, MA
    I just got mine on Thursday. My main amp is Genz Shuttlemax 9.2. The Carvin has absolutely floored me so far. Very clean and powerful. The compressor and drive are fantastic options. The option to turn the tube and graphic EQ on or off makes it super versatile, even more so than the Shuttlemax. Fantastic amp!