1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for cheapy 4 string to mod

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Stan_da_man, Oct 13, 2006.

1. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Hi, I need a 4 string bass under £160, so I can mod it and make it sound like it cost 5x as much! I don't mind if it's passive or active. Any ideas on which bass I should get?
    Cheers, Stan.

2. Lowend65

Lowend65 Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2006
    San Jose, CA
    I'd say an OLP Musicman clone
    Put a decent pickup in it and a Hipshot bridge and you'll have a good instrument.
    Make sure you try out a few of them for feel as the tolerences of the OLP's are not very good

3. The Dave

The Dave

Jun 23, 2006
    Canyon, Texas
    I played a Squier Vintage Modified '70s Jazz a couple of weeks ago and I was shocked at how nice it felt and sounded.

4. Tony G

Tony G

Jan 20, 2006
    NY
    +1

5. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    SX basses?

6. ScubaSteve

ScubaSteve

Jul 30, 2006
    SX or Squier.

7. wpkg

wpkg

Sep 22, 2006
    bloomfield, nj
    + 1 SX. cant be beat in that price range. or in some much bigger ranges as well.

8. Lebowski

Lebowski

Jul 11, 2005
    +1
    Maybe the best Squire model ever for the price IMO. Its a nice bass.

9. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    SX Bass collection bass?

10. I bought an old Aria Pro 2 bass, was really easy to play, sounded good accoustically, sounded a bit thin amplified, a set of dimarzios later and it sounds awsome!!

11. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    My final list is:
    Yamaha RBX170
    Peavey Millennium 4 BXP
    SX SB301
    Squire Affinity jazz bass

At the mo' I'm buying the Peavey unless someone comes up with a good reason not to.

12. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    I would pass on the Squire Affinity, and go at least Squire Standard ... better fit and finish on the standard, unless you plan on replacing neck too ... by the way, are you buying used or new??

13. Instead of that I'd use the "mod" money to add to the initial purchase and look for a great deal on a used bass. You can sometimes buy good used gear that already does sound as good as some new basses that cost 5X as much.

14. I love yamaha. If you do intend to mod, be sure it usses standardish shapped pups or else you won't be able to find replacements

15. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Well I'd rather mod a bass, because it's what I intend to do. And I'm buying new.

16. tjh

tjh

Mar 22, 2006
    Minnesota
    only reason I could think of, is that if you intend to sell the project down the line, it may help resale if you use a higher demand bass as your foundation ... I know I paid too much one time for a Squire P bass Special (P/J pups), because I knew the original was similar to what I was used to, ... I have seen modded Squires that guys have replaced logo with Fender, and you would probably not know it wasnt unless you compared side by side ... I do own a Peavey Milestone, so am not down on Peavey, but I like my Fenders better and if you compare the #'s of whats out there, I am not alone I dont think ... JMHO ... in any case, have fun with your project, the build can be the most enjoyable part ... good luck!!

17. The D

The D

Oct 13, 2006
    I would suggest getting an SX. They sell nice looking Fender P and J clones for less than 200 bucks! Im thinking of getting one myself just to mod.

My first bass ever was a Squire. I spent more than 200 bucks for it and was never really happy with it.

18. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    Ibanez RD300, Peavey Millennium BXP 4 or Yamaha RBX170.

19. youre in england, go to thomann.de and buy a harley benton

20. Stan_da_man

Stan_da_man

Aug 29, 2006
    UK
    no. i want a good bass make.