looking for clearer harmonics

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by clef360, Sep 13, 2003.

1. i can barely hear the harmonics on the 3rd fret of my new essex bass. I know that it's a cheap bass, but i was wondering if there were things i could do in terms of setup that would make the harmonics slightly clearer. My budget is probably around $100 for any new parts i would need. thanks.
  2. with 100 bucks, I don't really think you can do much :( ....just try messing with the mids and tone of your bass...anything that'll help bring 'em out

maybe just a setup and stainless steel strings
  3. HeavyDuty

HeavyDuty Supporting Curmudgeon Staff Member Gold Supporting Member

Jun 26, 2000
    Suburban Chicago, IL
  4. Metal Mitch

Metal Mitch

Jul 14, 2003
    Strings have a big impact on that too. I use the DR Lo-Riders, they say right on the box they are stiffer than other strings so they last longer and get better harmonics.
  5. Move your finger slightly farther up the fretboard, as the harmonic is not right on the third fret.

Trying new strings could help too.
  6. This is something regarding technique to get those little harmonics out. Use a pick, and hold it almost down to the edge, so the pointy part and a little fleshy piece of your thumb stick out. Hit the sting, and it should become a little bit clearer.
  7. thanks for the suggestions, i just noticed that the strings are really nasty in some places so i'll change them. also, i dont think it's my technique cuz it seems to work fine on my ibanex sr645
  8. Bruce Lindfield

Bruce Lindfield Unprofessional TalkBass Contributor Gold Supporting Member

Yup - new roundwound strings are good for bringing out harmonics.
  9. Joe Turski

Joe Turski

Jul 29, 2003
    If you don't use a pick, pluck the string closer to the bridge it should ring better. I also think strings have a major part in clarity, new strings seem to have the best sound. IMO of course!

10. New strings and a bit of sharpening of technique. I find that harmonics are clearer if I use a lot more of the bridge pup, it picks up more of the overtones (the reason it is so nasally in the first place) and a few more harmonics while you're there.

Josh D