1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for comparison between Accugroove Tri112L and Tri115L

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Hollow Man, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    I'm looking at picking up either a Tri112L or a Tri115L for small gigs or informal jams. I've got a Whappo Jr on order for my big stuff. I like the smaller form factor and price of the 112, but I hear the 115 paired with the Whappo Jr is a great combination for the times when I might want a two-cab lineup (which, right now, is never).

Anyway, has anyone played through both of these cabs? What are your impressions? Both seem to have rave reviews, but I'm only in position to try the 115 (which I liked). Oh ye experienced Accugroovers, what are your opinions?

2. KJung

KJung Supporting Member

The Tri115 is VERY nice sounding, but is really not much smaller than your Whappo Jr. While it sounds much more even and big than the Tri112 (which has quite a mid bump to my ear), the Tri112 would be the better option for a small gig cab than the 115.

IMO!

3. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    I'd agree with Kjung. The 15 is a a smoother sounding cab that the 12. You'd definitely notice more difference when pairing the 15 with the Whappo Jnr than the 12. My 2c.

4. I played both, and actually ran a couple of Tri-112's for a while. I really like that cab, and greatly prefer it to the 15...for basically the reasons Ken mentioned. I found the 12 to be much quicker than the 15, which is my kind of sound anyway, but especially so for small gigs. I ran a single Tri-112 with my Epi 502 on numerous small jazz and R&B gigs, and was never unhappy. The only issue I encountered was in very hard and "lively" rooms - it was nearly impossible to dial out the boominess without hurting the overall tone. In fairness, I have this issue with my Epi UL-310 cabinet as well...although to a smaller extent...and I suspect it has more to do with the amp than the cabinet.

Good luck with your decision. Hopefully you can A/B these cabs yourself to make the call on what works best for you.

5. Hollow Man

Hollow Man Supporting Member

Apr 28, 2003
    Springfield, VA
    Awesome info so far guys... anyone else tried these two?

6. davio

davio

Nov 2, 2006
    Boston, MA
    I've had an opportunity to try the Tri115L and liked it a lot. Very even with the ability to get pretty darn loud without breaking up. That said, I came into posession of a Tri112L not too long ago and am in love with it. I think that either would suit your needs well but if you're looking for something to contrast with the Jr. for smaller gigs, I'd go for the Tri112L. At 34 lbs, it's tough to beat and it's a one-hander whereas the other is not so much.

7. pfschim

pfschim Just a Skeleton with a Jazz bass Supporting Member

Apr 26, 2006
    SF Bay Area
    I had a good listen to both of these cabs last year. For the trial they were driven with my own amp, a Mesa Walkabout, and bass, Lull Jazz MV4.

I'm in general agreement with KJung here in the tone differences, except I woudl choose the Tri115.

Both cabs were very nice sounding to me, and I think the Accugroove 3way design is very good at that full range/studio monitor style, super clean but full tone. I look for a more old school vibe tone and lean towards very little tweet, and modest amount of push from the mid driver.

The Tri112 was mid-present and with less deep low end. A "clearer" sounding cab to my ears, but in a way that I don't find very compatible for my personal tone goals. The Tri112 was also noticeably smaller, and more portable than the Tri115.

The Tri115 really brought the beef for my ears. Still had that Accugroove clarity, but much deeper/fuller voiced. Of course, it is a bigger/heavier cab too, but I am personally trying to figure out how to get one into my gear collection to go with my Walkabout or MPulse600 depending on need.

good luck

8. Really good points...well said. This thread is bringing back memories, as I did spend quite a bit of time running through the Tri-115 at my local store. I'd long-before sworn off of 15's, but I do recall thinking about just how awesome this cabinet sounded. Also...and obviously IMO/IME, but either of these cabs through an Epifani 502 generates much happiness.