looking for custom bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ladros2, Jul 10, 2005.

1. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    built to my specs, €1500-2000=$1800-2400 roughly

6 or 7 string
    neck through
    maple or ebony fretboard
    swamp ash or similar body
    exotic top wood
    active electronics(with all the fancy stuff)
    ireland, probably to come from europe somewhere.
  2. seansbrew

seansbrew Supporting Member

Oct 23, 2000
    Mesa AZ.
    Probably the most affordable and highly regarded around here is a Stambaugh. Check out his website, www.stambaughdesigns.com
  3. Hi try a status smart bass.If you go on to their website you're given a choice of different body woods,hardware and pickups and electronics as you go through you are given a running total of the cost. How about a used one The Gallery in Camden town London :bassist: has a fantastic selection of used exotic basses in mint condition for reasonable prices.I know that they have a really nice Sei 6 string bass at the moment, they also have a good selection of Alembics.Check out their website.
  4. By-Tor

Apr 13, 2000
    Sacramento, CA
    To tell you the truth, that's a pretty tall order for that price range.
    I'm not saying it can't be done, but make sure you know what your getting before you decided.
    The more notable luthiers will ask more than that for a custom built 6 or 7 especially with those specs. A less notable luthier may not.
    But there is a reason why some luthiers are well known and some are not.
    Good luck in your quest.
  5. Richard Lindsey

Richard Lindsey

Mar 25, 2000
    Metro NYC
    Check out Jon Shuker:

I have two of his 6-strings (three, if you count the ABG he made me with his former partner). You can see one of mine on the bolt-on custom page (the one with the orangish-brown amboyna burl top).

Great guy, great basses. He's in Sheffield, England. I haven't checked his prices lately, but he's always been pretty reasonable, and I think he'd still be in your range. He's a small maker, pretty much does everything himself (unless he's taken on help recently). And he's quite willing to talk to you about what you need, not at all gruff and dismissive.
  6. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    thanks for the help, but i can't exactly just hop on over to london, there is a sea in the way! :p

I've looked in to status, not enough strings, anybody know the name of a luthier in kerry, sw ireland, i've been to his site but forget his name!

shukers and stambaugh look good.

i'm also willing to drop some of my specs to fit price.
  7. caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Get in contact with Chris Larkin in Castlegregory. He builds 7 strings too.
  8. Thats the name I just spent 20 minutes trying to remember he's been featured in a few magazines - his instruments look really nice. :hyper:
  9. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    that's the one! thanks! anybody have any experience with him?
  10. caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Haven't dealt with him directly but bought an incredible 4 string Reactor S some years ago in a shop looking for a good Stingray. After trying this bass the decision was simple.
    Although it is a glued in neck great sustain, playability a dream, not too heavy (may differ with a 7 string) and an abundance of sound.
    The workmanship is extradinary, and very durable (see the green bass on his site).
    There is a running gag quoting Chris goes out ti the woods to select the trees he wants to build his instrument from/of.
    That guy is open to every idea and will send you a specification sheet to decide the woods you prefer, the hardware and electronics.
    Living in Ireland you can go and see him personally.
    Have fun.
  11. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    i think i may just pick some friend and drag them on a three hour train ride then a mystical adventure through ireland's south east and have a look!

any idea on option prices? and how's the set neck, i've always been a little wary of them.
  12. caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    No problem, sturdy, if you like. My impression: stronger than a bolt- on neck. Price: I paid 1380 Euros but this already includes German V.A.T. and of course the dealers earnings.
    My bass has a mahagony body with a nice quilted maple top, Kent Armstrong HB and vol/pan/highs/mids/bass controls.
  13. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    sounds good, if it's not too much trouble could you have a look at his site http://www.chrislarkinguitars.com/ and see if you can come up with a price on the bassix custom? i'm not great with that stuff! first pic in reacter in instruments, ah! gas attack!
  14. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    and how was yours only €1380 when his site quotes €1600 min. for basses direct??? :eyebrow:
  15. caruso

Jun 13, 2005
    Bremen, Germany
    Yes, this is what I'm asking myself too. The prices in England are way much higher for a 5er, but there is one on the Dan Lenard page for 1900 US, also a 5er.

If you are patient enough and if you want: give me the specs and I'll ask the German distributor what price he can give me.
  16. Bass_Machine

Oct 29, 2004
    OMG, that is unbelievably cool. I think that's a real nice little innovation.

17. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005

reacter six string

figured bubinga top, or irish walnut,

black gotoh hardware,

contour body,

35" scale,

thinking 17mm spacing, maybe 18,

possibly piezos, depends on price,

thanks a lot!
  18. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    also looking at shuker deluxe, anybody have any experience?
  19. elros

Apr 24, 2004
    Proprietor, Helland Musikk Teknologi
    Listerud built me a 7-string for a decent price - he's not a full-time luthier, so he doesn't feed his family with bass building. I'm quite happy with mine, the only regret is that he couldn't do piezos on it....
  20. ladros2

Jun 2, 2005
    can you give me the price? i saw that one before, beautiful, i must say! if you're uncomfortable quoting publicly, pm me, even if just to say no!