1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for dark red tortoise plastic and aged white jazz bass pickup covers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by JAtlanta, Sep 29, 2008.

1. JAtlanta

JAtlanta

Oct 2, 2007
    Hi, I have a black Fender Jaguar bass, which I love playing. It looks pretty good with the stock white pickguard and black pickup covers, but I want to make it look like a vintage jaguar guitar with the dark red tortoise pickguard and off-white pickup covers.

Here's a couple pictures of what I'm trying to emulate:
    picture 1
    picture 2

I just can't find anyone who make a custom pickguard in that color. I got samples of tortoise pickguard material from pickguards.us, Terrapin, Jeannie, Pickguardian, and WD, and none of their materials seem to match the dark ruby red tortoise pickguard material like that used on the older and reissue Fenders. The color of the plastic samples have been either too bright red or too dark brown (not red enough) to match the color I want.

I also cannot find aged white jazz bass pickup covers for the Jaguar's pickups. I can find bright white and cream color, but not that light yellow aged color that I'm really looking for.

If anyone has recommendations for sources of either, I would greatly appreciate them. If I ever find them, I will post pictures of the newly adorned bass.

Thanks for your help.

2. CElton

CElton I'm a new note finder...

Hmm...I thought the Red "Reissue" Tort material looked like a close match from Pickguard Heaven. Group "E" #109?

3. JAtlanta

JAtlanta

Oct 2, 2007
    That was bright red as well. It seems like most providers actually have the same material. Thanks.

4. mikeswals

mikeswals Supporting Member

Nov 18, 2002
    Seattle / Tacoma
    The way you make aged white pickup covers is to soak them in dark coffee.

5. sevenyearsdown

sevenyearsdown Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Sanborn, NY
    What about red perloid?

6. JAtlanta

JAtlanta

Oct 2, 2007
    Thanks for the suggestion. red pearloid is the right color, but the wrong look. I got a sample of that one, too ;)

Thanks also for the tip about soaking the plastic in coffee, I'll try that.

7. KirBass

KirBass

Sep 12, 2008
    Australia
    Where did you find cream jazz bass pickup covers? I'm on the hunt for one (neck pup only). I could only find them from Warmoth who want $2.50 for the cover but $30 to post it to Australia!!!

8. brobot

brobot

Jun 29, 2008
    Philly
    I'm looking for jag pickup covers as well. Will standard jazz p/u covers work? Where's a good palce to get them?

9. Try Roger at Jeannie's Pickguards:

http://home.comcast.net/~pickguards/

He can work from your template, he has his own files of Fender bass templates or you can send him your actual pickguard. Has also has a tremendous stock of pickguard materials (red pearls, red torts, all sorts of whites & aged/off-whites).

He made a replacement pickguard for me last year for a Lakland Joe Osborn Jazz bass. I sent him the original pickguard. He duplicated it in multi-ply brown/yellow tort and had both pickguards back to me in a week. As I recall, the cost was around $50.

Good luck. Let us know how you solve this.

Bluesy Soul :cool: