1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for dead strings

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by fetfet, Sep 22, 2008.

1. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I'm looking for a set of strings that sound as if they've been used heavily for a deep tone on a Thunderbird. I'm looking at Fender Pure Nickels, DR Black Beauties, or some D'addario Chromes.

Please suggest strings!

2. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    Take a new set and play the hell out of them until you're satisfied. If you play for 25 hours a day you should get what you're looking for in about a week.

3. play Chromes for a week and they'll get that tone for you...the DR's will stay bright for a long time, not go dead. It sounds like you need the Chromes

4. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    I think I have a couple sets of roundwounds, probably D'Addario, tossed in the bottom of some cabinet. They probably were played for a couple of years. You can have them if I can find them and you drive out to Hamilton to pick them up.

At the cost of gas lately, you might be better finding some guy locally. Hang out at the check out counter at L&M and wait until someone asks to buy a set of bass strings. Offer to buy his old ones for $1. :)

5. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I had the inpression that the DR's sounded like they had already been played for a while. But i'll look at the chromes. Do they have high tension? I'm employing a lot of bends in my playing. I see they make them in a 40-95 gauge which I'll get.

6. staindbass

staindbass

Jun 9, 2008
    give em a nice drenching with baby or mineral oil, wipe off the excess, i bet they sound really dead. i think the reason strings lose thier zing is cuz all the surfaces of the winds get oils from your hand on them. i cant hurt to try it on an old string to see if it makes it duller. johnny a/staind

7. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    The fender rounds do sound really fat, I think you'd dig em ... and they'll mellow to deadness reasonably quickly.

8. I don't get why people would suggest round wound strings for dead tone. Get a set of flats and never change them. LaBellas or D'Addario's work nice.

9. bassbully

bassbully Endorsed by The PHALEX CORN BASS..mmm...corn!

Sep 7, 2006
    Blimp City USA
    The best sounding strings like this IMO are worn out dead Fender nickel rounds I agree 100%. If you play them hard or try the oil or chapstick trick they should go dead quick. I love those meaty dead rounds way more than flats since i dont have my fingers broke to play them :meh:

10. fetfet

fetfet

Apr 13, 2008
    Toronto, ON
    I"ve played flats before, and i'm good with them, but I'm going to try the Fender 7150's because Fender=cheap.