Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for Dr. Bass pics

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Snarf, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    I'm in the pipe-dream phase of rig building, and for now I'm probably going to get a Fender/Carvin/Hartke combo amp at 100 watts, 10 inch speaker. However, I'm thinking to get a 112 extension speaker if I ever need to push some more air. Avatar is great and everything, but that Foster tweeter/crossover stuff really concerns me, since I want as clean a sound as possible.

So, if you have Dr. Bass cab pics, I'd love to see em!

2. Trevor.A

Trevor.A

Jan 2, 2005
    Lubbock, TX

Attached Files:

3. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Dr Bass uses a similiar cross-over as Avatar, but with a better tweeter and no rat fur.
    Why not consider one of the single 12 cabs from either Avatar, Dr Bass and pick up an old used GK 400RB total outgo $400-$500?

4. tombowlus

tombowlus If it sounds good, it is good Gold Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    Editor-in-Chief, Bass Gear Magazine
    Here's a shot of my custom Dr. Bass 2x10 and 1x15. They are the size of the Rx line, but made of birch. This is my only shot of them, but it does give you some idea of their size relative to other cabs (EA, Accugroove and Bergantino, if you don't recognize them).

[​IMG]

5. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    I move that tom is never allowed to show a pic of more then 2 cabinets ever again. The jealousy induced by such pics is world-shaking. :)

Just kiddin, Tom. I'm going to have to take a trip down there sometime to listen to that wall of sound.

6. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The sad part is that I have over six times as many cabs as are pictured in that photo! :eek:

Keep your eyes out for a GTG at my pad one of these days!

Tom.

7. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings from the North,
    Ya tom that just is not fair. But in bassdom nothing ever is. If you ever start feeling guilty about having too many cabs I'll be more then glad to start a northern bass player relief agency for you. ;)
    Getting back to the thread....Marc at Dr.Bass is usually pretty good at emailing pics of his cabs,just give him a shout.
    Rezdog

8. Dan1099

Dan1099 Dumbing My Process Down

Aug 7, 2004
    Michigan
    Yeah I know. That borders on infuriating. :) :)

9. Snarf

Snarf

Jan 23, 2005
    New York, NY
    So is it the tweeter that's the problem in Avatar cabs? The Dr. Bass cabs don't hiss, do they?

10. Rezdog

Rezdog Supporting Member

Feb 17, 2004
    T.Rez, Canada
    Greetings,
    When you get in touch with Marc at Dr.Bass ask him about the different tweeter and horn options he has. He'll rig it according to the style you play or how ever you want it.
    Rezdog

11. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I do believe that Marc may have made some incremental upgrades with regard to his crossovers and tweeters, so it might be worth talking to him about the current crossovers and tweeters used in his cabs.

Tom.

12. Doug Parent

Doug Parent Supporting Member

May 31, 2004
    San Diego, Ca.
    Dealer Nordstrand Pickups.
    Tom, are the tweets in your Dr Bass the Selenium bullets Marc told me about? How do they compare smoothness-wise, to the bullet in your Berg HT112? And, if you don't mind, telling me how the RX115 birch version compares to the HT115? gracias.

p.s are you doing ongoing research, ie;do you plan on settling for one or two cabinets eventually or are you just simply enjoying the joy of abundance?

13. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I think that the tweeters in mine are made by Selenium, but may not be the ones that Marc is using in his cabs. Selenium makes a bunch of tweeters (and some very good ones at that). I liked them from the get go, but when I first reviewed them, I felt that the crossover didn't really do a great job of integrating the tweeter and driver, and subsequently asked me to send them back to him and did redo the crossover (plus made some other changes that I had suggested). He did all of this for free, without me asking him to, and needless to say, I think that Marc is a really great guy (who knows his stuff!).

IMHO, it is difficult to compare anyone else's tweeter (and crossover) to Jim Bergantino's. Jim just really surpasses the competition, IMHO, when it comes to choosing the right tweeter and using the right crossover to make it work in a given cab. So, no, these tweeters/crossovers don't rival those in my Bergs. But, they absolutely kill the Foster/Fostex tweeters, and they give many of the higher end guys a run for their money. They are not harsh, and they are not hissy. In their price range, I'd say that they are going to be hard to beat.

As for the Dr. Bass 1x15 versus the HT115, keep in mind that the Dr. Bass cab is even more compact (and not as deep), is made from 1/4" birch ply, and uses a featherweight neo driver. That said, the HT115 is deeper and tighter, and my overall preference sonically, but the Dr. Bass 1x15 feels like it is one tenth the weight of the HT115, and puts out a more round low mid tone. It's still very punchy, and has good high end of its own, but the HT115 is one of the best 1x15's ever made (again, IMHO), and it sells (or sold) for far more than what Marc charges for his 1x15. The Berg is better, but Marc's cab is awefully good, and it is certainly not "blown away" by the HT115.

Well, I do find myself doing ongoing research, but I am also enjoying the joy of abundance! In truth, if after I have a cab for a while, and get a feel for it, I find myself not using it much, or if I don't feel that it is a "classic"/"destined to be collectable" cab, then I do sell them off from time to time. The two Peaveys are for sale, as a matter of fact. But by and large, with the rest of the cabs, I either use them (for bass rig, "keyboard" rig, "rhythm guitar" rig, monitors or PA), or I do feel like they are an excellent, unique cab that I might want back in my collection at some point in the future.

But mostly, I'm just a gear addict! :p

Later, Tom.

14. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    I would hope that the tweeters are made *by* Selenium and not *from* selenium. It's dirty toxic s**t - I've had to put a hold on one of my current projects at work 'cause the selenium I was using was making me sick :(

Anyway, back on topic - Tom, how do you rate the DrBass 210 running your iAmp 800 through it? I'm thinking of getting an iAmp and I'm looking for a decent cheap 210 for electric/upright until I can afford something better like some EA cabs.

15. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    The iAMP 800 sounds awesome with these cabs. That Dr. Bass 2x10 (which again, is made from birch, but is the same size as the Rx line) is just ridiculously good for the money. The only cabs that I have which surpass it (and again, not by a lot) cost much more. Marc knows my cabs very well, and you might be able to get him to build an exact replica (though I would suspect that one of his "standard" 2x10's might be more affordable).

Really, in that price range, Dr. Bass and Low Down Sound are the best I have heard, and by a wide margin. Step up a tad in price, and bring along a big amp, and ACME is the price/performance king. Oh, and the iAMP 800 drives ACME's very, very well. That said, I have not heard Avatar.

16. Tom Hutton

Tom Hutton

Nov 22, 2004
    Indiana
    That's what I wanted to hear, thanks :D
    So how does your 2x10 differ from the Birchline Series that Marc offers?

17. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    My cabs are smaller in overall dimensions, and they are made from 1/4" birch (versus 1/2", I believe, for the standard Birchline). The drivers were also custom ordered neo (16 ohm) drivers from Eminence, and I am not sure which standard Eminence neo model they most closely resemble. The goal was to design a super light weight, yet big sounding cab. While I really liked them from the get go, one of the things that I suggested (and which Marc later did) was to add some additional internal bracing to prevent the cab walls from moving at all. The cab itself felt sturdy as all get out, but some of the notes, while very articulate, were not as refined sounding as some of my higher end cabs. I felt that perhaps some internal vibration, or flexing was contributing to this. After adding the additional bracing (which I would not think would be necessary with the 1/2" birch cabs), the sound is notably improved, and more smooth and musical throughout the mids.

I also do not know if the tweeter and crossover used in my cabs are used in any of his other cabs.

Tom.

18. silky smoove

silky smoove Supporting Member

May 19, 2004
    Seattle, WA

:bag: Tom, if you could possibly do this (at the risk of my eternal flaming by the rest of the forum)..... post a pic of ALL your cabs in one shot if possible. If you've already done this at some point, can you point me in the direction. I'm really curious to see what that massive pile of cabs looks like.

19. tombowlus

Apr 3, 2003
    North central Ohio
    I don't have a good shot, and this is not all of them by a long shot, but if this link works, it does give you an idea of what my "music room" looks like. It's even more crowded now, and many of my cabs are at my band's rehersal room!

Messy Room O' Bass Gear

20. Joe P

Joe P

Jul 15, 2004
    Milwaukee, WI
    I found this list on his blog:
    Cabs:

EA VL-208 (four)
    EA VL-108 (two)
    EA VL-110 (three)
    EA VL-210 (two)
    EA Wizzy (two)
    EA NL-210 (two)
    EA CxL-112
    EA CxL-110
    EA CxL-210
    Custom "Super Wizzy" 2x12's, by Steve Azola (two)
    Epifani T-112 (two)
    Epifani T-110UL (two)
    Bergantino HT112 (two)
    Bergantino EX112
    Bergantino HT310 (two; one en route)
    Bergantino HT210
    Bergantino HT115
    Bergantino custom 1x15 Subs (in HT322 boxes)
    Accugroove Whappo, Jr.
    Accugroove Tri 210L
    Accugroove Tri 110
    Accugroove Tri 208
    Accugroove Gordo
    ACME Low B-2 (two)
    ACME Low B-1 (two)
    Hevos Midget
    Mesa Boogie Diesel 4x10
    Mesa Boogie Diesel Powerhouse Jr. (1x12, 4x8)
    Raezer's Edge Bass 10
    Dr. Bass custom neo 2x10
    Dr. Bass custom neo 1x15
    Low Down Sound 3-way 5x8
    Low Down Sound 3-way neo 1x8 (en route)
    Trace Elliot 4052 4x5 Bright Box (en route)
    Peavey 1820
    Peavey 2x10 (powered)

Oh yeah...