Looking for dual channel no frills distortion. Any recommendations?

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by lidl e, Nov 30, 2022.

1. All,

Does anyone make a nice distortion pedal that i could select between two settings (one a bit of drive, one over the top heavy distortion).

I want no DI or EQ are any extras. Just straight distortion pedal.

Cheers!

2. Nashrakh

Nashrakh

Aug 16, 2008
    Hamburg, Germany
    Electro Harmonix Hot Wax is exactly what I use for these applications. One side for slight breakup, the other for heavy distortion.

Affordable, too. However, it does have some "frills" in the form of a clean blend, seperate volume pots, and a very basic 2-band EQ section.

JFlo, Gearhead17, CPplaysBASS and 5 others like this.
  3. Ooh, that looks promising.

Not mad about the graphics, but i suppose that shouldn't matter.

BrentSimons and Nashrakh like this.
  4. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    Source Audio Aftershock is right up your street. 6 user selectable patches from a vast array of differetn distortions / Overdrives / Fuzzes. Spend a bit of time with the Desktop UI and you can configure each patch to use Bass / treble controls on the device. Super easy dial in and very versatile.

SlowpokeJoe, BrentSimons and lidl e like this.
  5. Interesting as well.

Do you have to really use the app? Can you switch "modes" on the fly?

6. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    The stock presets are generally good enough. I only use the editor to change things about and set things up. Once done, I hardly use the editor at all. There are hundeds of community patches of different dirt models available, it can be fun strolling through them all and trying them out. There's a fair amount of extra features for you to play with under the hood, but it's not necssesary.
    Some of the more complicated pedals from Source Audio can be quite complex to use. However, their Modulators Dirt and compressor pedals are really easy to use live. 4 knobs and a 3 way switch (to access the 6 patches) is all the control they need.
    For my 6 patches, I generally have overdrive, Muff, Gated Muff (patches 1-3 in the green zone) and Dual stacked Overdrive, Animato clone, Prunes and Custard clone (patches 4-6 on the red zone). With Gain, Grit, Bass & Treble controlls assigned to each patch.

lidl e likes this.
  7. Very cool and sounds great on the demo.

How do you scroll thru the patches with only the ine foot switch?

BrentSimons and GMC like this.
  8. el murdoque

el murdoque

Mar 10, 2013
    Germany
    You have a 3 way toggle switch and an ALT button on the top, giving you 6 presets to choose from.
    I found it a bit too much to use the button on the SA pedals, but three presets is plenty!

Jam Pedals also has you covered:
    Lucydreamer Bass: It is an Overdrive that delivers quite a lot of gain when you dime it.
    Rattler Bass: Based on the RAT, it is a Distortion - for when the Lucydreamer does not provide enough.
    Red Muck Bass: One step further, this is fuzz territory.

(all these are available for guitar, too - make sure to get the bass pedals).

9. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
  10. Ric5

Ric5 Supporting Member

Jan 29, 2008
    Colorado
    I like 5, 8, 10, and 12 string basses
    [​IMG]

11. I considered it, but dont ned the DI and most of the features.

Id rather put the money into the build

12. Derek Williams

Derek Williams Gold Supporting Member

May 14, 2020
    Milton Keynes, UK
    I agree with @el murdoque . If you just need a simple distortion with 2 gain levels, the Jam bass pedals are a great choice. All 3 of them have a boost foot switch for higher gain (amount adjustable with internal trim pot).

lidl e likes this.
  13. GMC

GMC Supporting Member

Jan 1, 2006
    Wiltshire, UK
    There's a 3 way switch, one for each patch. Push and hold the main stomp button and the Big LED turns red and the switch then controls the other bank of three. It's really easy.

logdrum and lidl e like this.
  14. Gonna search out a demo.

That SA Aftershock sounds pretty fricking good though.

15. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Fuzzrocious Demon with second drive mod. You get a master volume, tone, and two independent drive knobs that you can switch between.

JFlo, 6-3-2, JeffreyMcJunior and 3 others like this.
  16. That looks interesting, and i do like supporting smaller manufacturers, but that source audio sounds so good!

NKBassman likes this.
  17. RJ

RJ

Aug 17, 2000
    San Francisco
    Might be able to score an old Bass Drive for cheap.

lidl e likes this.
  18. The old boss?

19. NKBassman

NKBassman Lvl 10 Nerd Supporting Member

Jun 16, 2009
    Winnipeg, MB, Canada
    Same as the new boss. :p

Microbass, Jesuguru, rocu and 4 others like this.