Looking for duets

Discussion in 'Music [DB]' started by reedo35, Mar 27, 2002.

1. Hello, all!
    As some of you may already know, I am going to be a married man come october. The thing is, my bride to be is already saying we need to spend more time together. :rolleyes: So, since she is a bassoon player, I am trying to find some good Bass clef Duets. We have already been through the bach inventions, looking for something different. any suggestions?
  2. JAS

Jul 3, 2001
    There are some interesting things in the lemur music catalogue.
  3. dcardon

Jan 31, 2002
    New York, NY
    Michael Hovnanian (bassist, CSO) wrote a bassoon/bass duet called "Nietzsche Contra Wagner". I suppose you can take it any way you want it, but the piece - to me - is a tongue in cheek laugh at the now absurd and irrelevant banter beetween these two important figures. It is not especially difficult, and works well to break the tension of a recital. It is available at www.discordia-music.com.
  4. In the Lemur catalogue, they have the 8 modal duets for double-basses by Brazilian composer Ernst Mahle.
    I think some of them will be a great value.

I tried Mozart Sonata for cello and bassoon,
    as well as 2nd movement of the Rossini duetto
    and arrangements of Rossini for 2 bassoons,
    but all that is difficult and I feel you better play
    everything in the high octava, sounding like a cello.
    For sure one separated movement can be worth, even without changing register.

2nd movement of Mozart with the bass playing in the high octava is not too difficult and is beautiful.

You have the original duet by Albert Roussel, a little bit strange but worth doing. The basson part is actually quite difficult and you need to rewrite the bass part since it is for solo strings and written as it sounds !

Try Ernst Mahle !

Good luck, and have fun !
  5. One more detail which makes the Albert Roussel
    so difficult : it´s little worth for a duration
    of 3', 3'30.