Looking for Duo/Duets

Discussion in 'Recordings [DB]' started by thinears, Aug 16, 2009.

1. thinears

thinears

Aug 4, 2009
    Denton, Texas
    I was looking through the archives and stumbled upon this gem. http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=485549&page=2 which I thought was absolutely amazing. So I was wondering if you all knew of any recordings like this, just featuring bass and some other instrument, preferably jazz, but I'm open to anything. Actually any cool duets will do also, it doesn't have to involve bass either. I love things like this because it presents the players in a lot more intimate setting, and allows the bass to really shine as more than just a time keeper. So if you know of anything else, I would really appreciate it if you would help me out. Thanks!

edit: I checked out Chris Fitzgerald's site and realized there were a few more duets. Awesome. Is there any way to download these?

2. Toronto bassist Dave Young did 3 albums of piano-bass duets, changing pianists every 2-3 songs. The recorded double bass sound is wonderful.

TwoByTwo: Piano-Bass Duets, Volume One - 1995 (Justin Time)
    TwoByTwo: Piano-Bass Duets, Volume Two - 1996 (Justin Time)
    SideBySide: Piano-Bass Duets, Volume Three - 1997 (Justin Time)

3. Intenzity

Intenzity

Oct 15, 2006
    Seattle, WA
    The "chops" album with NHOP and Joe Pass is pretty famous and Jimmy Bruno has a guitar/bass duo album also. Gary Peacock and Ralph Towner have a record that is just them playing on some tunes I think, it is pretty out though, Red Mitchell has some too.

Also Ray Brown's "Some of my best friends are.." sessions have a lot of duos with different kind of players.

4. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    There's the "Music From Two Basses" recording by Dave Holland and Barre Phillips (1971) - a duet where both players are bassists. It's a little out there.

Patitucci has a cool recording of "Giant Steps" on his "Now" CD that is just him (on electric) and Vinnie Colaiuta on drums. Only one song, but very cool.

And how about the legendary "Donna Lee" with Jaco (on electric, obviously) and Don Alias on congas? Speaking of which, here's a great site where Rick Suchow managed to overlay the Jaco track on top of the Miles version. If you were anything like I was, the first time you heard Jaco's version, it sounded like a bunch of random notes - this is a great way to hear what he was really doing against the changes that weren't being played).

5. deckard

deckard

Apr 4, 2003
    Seattle
    Give a listen to the "Intuition" and "Montreux III" CDs with Bill Evans and Eddie Gomez.

6. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
  7. Sam Sherry

Sam Sherry Inadvertent Microtonalist Supporting Member

Sep 26, 2001
    Portland, ME
    Euphonic Audio "Player"
    I had to smile.

There's a real distinction between "Ralph Towner" and "Robin Trower."

I'd probably enjoy a duo record by Robin Trower & Gary Peacock but I think we'll have a long time to see it.

8. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    Augusta GA
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Especially if Robin wants him to play "Happy Birthday"....

9. Darkstrike

Darkstrike Return Of The King!

Sep 14, 2007
    Hahahaha! Damn' I'm not with it at all today!

10. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021