Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for DVD's, Videos

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Grant22, Feb 16, 2006.

1. Grant22

Grant22 Groovin' the gospel

Oct 29, 2005
    Winter Garden FL
    Can you guys recommend any good dvd's or videos with good bass players on them, I am leaning towards blues, funk, jazz and gospel, not looking for instructional stuff, I want concert stuff I just ordered matthew garrison's new dvd.

Grant

2. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Here are some that I have that you may like:
    Marcus Miller Live @ Montreaux
    Maze Live in New Orleans
    Incognito at the Notrh Sea Jazz Festival
    Average White Band Live @ Montreaux '77
    Brothers Johnson Live in Oakland '79

3. Most of Eric Claptons DVD's have Nathan East. Definitely recommend those.

Chick Corea Elektric Band - Live in Montreux and The Hudson Project both have John Patitucci. Once again, highly recommended.

Calle 54 is great. Anthony Jackson appears with Michel Camilo and Horacio "El Negro" Hernandez. Worth the price of the DVD alone is this performance. Alot of other good ones too including the late great Tito Puente.

Lee Ritenour Overtime is good. Very contemporary jazz. Some people dig it, some people don't. But you can't go wrong with Anthony Jackson, Melvin Lee Davis and Dave Carpenter all on the same DVD!

Drummers Collective 25th Anniversary/Bass Day is a must have, IMO. Vic, John Patittuci, Tom Kennedy and Eddie Gomez all on the same DVD? Come on! Plus Dave Weckl, El Negro and Steve Gadd too? This purchase needs no further explanation.

That's a good start.

4. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    More Garrison can be had on Herbie Hancock's Future 2 Future DVD.

5. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    You can almost get all of that on(OK, maybe not so much on the "Gospel")-
    Screaming Headless Torsos-Live
    Prince-Live At The Alladin, Las Vegas
    Steely Dan-Two Against Nature

The Deepest End DVD/cd by Gov't Mule set is also loaded with various Blues, Funk, & Jazz.

For Jazz-
    Charles Mingus-Live At Montreux

6. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Legends live at Montreaux has some great Marcus Miller solos. From a recent concert with Clapton, Sample, Sanborn, Rushen, and Gadd. For some reason many stores file it under Clapton. great mix and video.