1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for Eden 410XLT sound in a lighter cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Greatcrimson, Jun 19, 2014.

1. Greatcrimson

Greatcrimson Supporting Member

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    I have an Eden 410XLT cab that I love and use it with either an Ampeg SVT 4Pro or GK MB800. This cabinet sounds great with either amp and while I love the sound, lugging around a 98Lb cabinet is not making my back very happy.

I also have a Schroeder 1210 which is much lighter and I use it with the GK for rehearsal. While the sound is respectable, I use Taurus Bass pedals for one of my gigs and the Schroeder can't really handle them. The Eden on the other had doesn't break a sweat.

So the holy grail that I seek is a cabinet that can give me the sound and power handling of the Eden cabinet, but with less weight.

Is anybody familiar with this Eden cabinet and have any suggestions for a lighter alternative?

Thanks in advance for any help.

2. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Don't know of a specific cab other than moving to Eden 210's, but you're looking for something strong in the lowmids with high spl, and not so much in the deep low bass.

3. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    IIRC the Xsonics line (the 212 I think) has a tone profile modeled after the Eden XLT cabs. I've not heard them myself but at least one former Eden user that I know uses them.

4. will33

will33

May 22, 2006
    austin,tx
    Yep, those might be worth checking out.

5. Greatcrimson

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    Thanks guys. The Xsonics look great, but they certainly don't come cheap. They are certainly worth considering however.

Any other suggestions out there?

6. That was the XF line. They are currently building the TF line, but they may facilitate one of the XF cabs for an interested buyer.

What is your realistic budget?

7. kringle77

kringle77 Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    The xsonics wont get you there. They sound slightly similar but, at a real gig you will not be as happy as with the eden. Nothing out there sounds like the xlt cabs. Take that to the bank. If you gave the money and can wait, barefaced is coming out with some 10" cabs that will kill. My supertwin cabs are awsome and can really take eq well. Bergantini hs and hd 10" cabs will get the overall vibe but, still dont really sound like an xlt. Sorry man, i have been down this road for a long time. Get a supertwin, push it with alot of watts and eq in your sound.

8. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    If you dont want to spend a pile of money, a pair of bag end 15's would get you in the ball park and make 2 lighter trips. I had lots of problems with the rear porting though and if i ever owned them again would build my own front ported cabs and put the be drivers in them. Id also make it a small 2x15 with tilt back wheels as, that would be easier to deal with than two cabs.

9. Greatcrimson

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    Thanks everyone for the continued suggestions.

kringle77 - sounds like we're looking for the same thing. The Bag End suggestion is interesting, but I'm really a fan of the responsiveness of 10's vs. what I typically get out of 15's. I will say that the Schroeder 1210 is a great cab, it's light and LOUD, but just a little too hifi for me, and then there's the bass pedal need...

The search continues...

10. I ended up going to a pair of XST's. A bit more pronounced low end, but still Eden sound and efficiency. At least you can carry one at a time, and I find that I only need one for a lot of gigs.

11. Lowendtech

Lowendtech Happily trending in my own peculiar direction. Supporting Member

I would definitely check out a DNA (Eden's founder), DNS210 (8 or 4 ohm) cab. I have the 410 and it's very good. The 210 is claimed to handle 700W.

12. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    Good idea. Not quite the low mid push of the XLTs but definitely still the "Eden sound". With the 210XST rated at 500 watts, you could have one 210 for bass and the other 210 for the Taurus pedals.

13. I'm playing a Roscoe, and with the Barts there's still tons of nice middle sound. These cabs still punch through on stage.

14. Dogghouse

Dogghouse

Jan 25, 2011
    Santa Barbara
    Bass Guy @ Seymour Duncan
    I traded in my two 410XLT's for two 210XLT's to run my WT800 World Tour. I go vertical with them and can even run just one and get through most gigs. My back said thanks.

15. johnpbass

johnpbass

Feb 18, 2008
    Glen Mills, PA
    I used to run 2-210XLTs. They were both 4 ohm so I ran 2 with my WT550 or 1 with my WT400 for "smaller" gigs. Also ran them with a Demeter/Crest pre-power set up. GREAT cabs indeed!

16. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    I ran a vertical stack of 210xlt's and loved them but, they are still something like 70lbs each, really a drag at 3am. I later found it easier to roll a bergantino nv610 and it has a similar tone but, even better control. I know use 1 and own 2 barefaced supertwin cabs. They can be eq'd to sound almost anyway you want, have no tweet, are 40lbs each, will put out way more volume than any other cab in that size range (period), and just sound great. They are VERY expensive but, just look back and add up how much money most of us has spend trying to find the right gear. The price of one of the twins will be alot less. Sometimes it pays to pay. Not always but, it did with my supertwin cabs.

17. Greatcrimson

Nov 17, 2002
    Central NJ, USA
    Does anyone have experience with the Ampeg PN-201HLF cabinet? It's a 210 rated at 550W at only 44 pounds. It's not cheap either, but looks interesting.

18. kringle77

Jul 30, 2004
    Massena NY
    Played one. Definitely not the eden punch and growl at all.

19. jongor

jongor

Jan 11, 2003
    Maine
    kringle...those Barefaced cabs look awesome, but cost an arm and a leg!!

20. pickles

pickles Gold Supporting Member

Mar 23, 2000
    Ventura, CA
    Don't do it. 410XLT is a tone beast. You'll be broke frustrated and half crazy by the time you even get close, especially with that svt4! Get a dolly or cart. Get a buddy to help.

Henn and johnpbass like this.