Looking for effect order ideas.

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Jazz Ad, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Hey guys.
    Until today, my pedalboard was wired like this :
    Bass-->Boss LS-2-->SanSamp BassDriver-->2x Behringer B300.
           ! ^  ! ^                    !
           ! !  ! !                    `-->PA.
           !A!  !B!
           ! !  ! `---------------------------------------------
           ! !  `-->Fulltone Bass-Drive-->Single Loooper Switch-'
           ! !                             !                ^
           ! !                             `-->Korg AX-1 B--'
           ! !
           ! `-------------------------------------------
           `-->Akai SB-1 Deep Impact-->Akai UB-1 UniBass-'
                                                      `-->guitar amp.
    It served me well for the last 2 years.
    I recently bought a SCF and a brand new Cioks power supply, so I'm going to rewire it all, maybe differently. Do you have ideas, suggestions or interesting stuff to try ? Anything I'm missing ?

I use the Korg mostly as a tuner and for modulation and time effects. It's the only one that really eats signal when bypassed so I need to be able to completely take it out of the chain when needed.
    I use the SansAmp as my main preamp.

As a reminder, here is the whole list of items I have at hand :
    Boss LS-2 Line Selector
    SanSamp BassDriver
    Fulltone Bass-Drive
    Single Loooper
    Korg AX-1 B
    Akai SB-1 Deep Impact
    Akai UB-1 UniBass
    TC Electronics Chorus-Flanger

Thanks for your attention.
  2. Jazz Ad

Wow, there is so much inspiration flying through this thread I can barely breath.
    Mmmhhh. Please ? Guys ?
  3. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    the only way to find the ideal setup is to experiment. prepare for a weekend lock-in with tons of cables. i've spent hours tweaking my sound and the one thing that i've learned is that there is no fixed settings for your knobs or no perfect order for effects. as your strings age or the rooms change where you play, you need to appropriately tweak your sound to get the tone you are after.

as for effects, as long as you do it one step at a time ensuring that you are achieving maximum noise/signal ratio, it is up to your ears which effects sound good before others. which ones are noisier than others? which ones are dynamic to the volume of your playing? these are all important things to factor into your decision on where things go in the chain. also, be sure to check the sounds with effects on and off if you plan to use combinations of effects. you obviously don't want any unintentional shifts in volume.

good luck!
  4. Jazz...I always thought that your board and effect order were perfect. I want what you've got! Honestly, I think you've tinkered with it enough that any advice any of us could give you would be purely speculation and could be intelligently rejected by you because you've tried it already and opted for your current setup.

There might be a higher quality pedal that does what the LS-2 does, but you've stated repeatedly that you love it, so I don't think you should change it. The only thing that you have 'on hand' that isn't on your board schematic is the TC Chorus/Flange, so if it doesn't eat your signal too much, put it before the BDDI.

I just think you're thinking too much. Your setup's perfect, but you're thinking that nothing's perfect...
  5. Jazz Ad

That's a pretty accurate observation. Thanks by the way. :)
    I'm always looking for alternatives.
    The new power supply is an improvement.
    I'd replace the Boss by something of better quality if it could find similar functions. Loooper could provide it but without buffered loops.
    The Tonebone isn't far but it won't allow parallel loops.
  6. cosmicevan

Feb 1, 2003
    New York
    some other obvious things to ensure is using good (appropriate sized) cables and a power conditioner for everything that plugs in to have some signal integrity...but beyond that...