1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for effects that make the bass sounds totally different

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Groovesaurus, Jan 31, 2017.

Tags:
  1. Groovesaurus

Groovesaurus

Jan 31, 2017
    Perth WA
    Hi Talkbassers,

first post here, so sorry in advance for my poor english, and thanks for all the times i've pinched precious information from all you users: knowledge is power, and i'm too lazy and broke to go to a music school, so if i'm a better bassist is mostly thanks to this forum.

here's the matter:
    I'm a busker and my current setup consists of my bass, loopers and electronic drum.
    I'm chasing an effect that would make the bass sound totally different from what it sounds normally, to surprise the random audience that comes and goes.

i've already used a POG2; it's awesome and i can just imagine the possibilities in terms of sounds when matched with other FXs, however i've a bit of an issue with ocd, so when it comes to gear too tweakable i get lost in it and it compromises my practice and working times (i tried to stick only to the presets, but i still found myself changing them every 10 minutes or so).
    i tend to prefer one or two parameters fx.

therefore i stepped down to a micro pog clone (mooer tender octaver, very recommended), glued the sub and dry knob to zero, and rocked on with that so far.

i must admit however that the pure +1 octave up sound isn't the most pleasant sound without the POG2's lpf and attack features, SO...

what would be your suggestions?
    i 've tried delays and reverb, and the result is too muddy unless we go to some real top notch pedals.
    i've used the mooer sweeper, that unfortunately leads me to the same problem i've got with the POG2 (sounds stupid, i know).
    i'm very tempted by bitcrusher sounds, but apart from this, i'm clueless.

any comment, sound clip, joke and derision appreciated!

thanks

2. Nunovsky

Nunovsky

Sep 4, 2004
    Portugal
    Digitech Dirty Robot, a cool flanger, fuzz, ...

blindrabbit, gregmon79 and eriky4003 like this.
  3. Envelope filter and bass synth will alter the sound the most. Also a wah-wah pedal,

Sunset Shalom likes this.
  4. Pacodelivery

Pacodelivery Supporting Member

May 25, 2014
    Baltimore
    Boss oc-2, with the oct-1 solo'ed

Bass in, keyboard out

RickyT likes this.
  5. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    Moog Freqbox!! I'm getting one myself very soon.

6. gregmon79

gregmon79 I did it for the muff... Supporting Member

Dec 20, 2012
    Chicago IL
    And if all you wanted was a up octave, check out the Bass Whammy!

willsellout likes this.
  7. NoiseNinja

NoiseNinja Experimental-psychedelic-ambient-noise-drone Banned

Feb 23, 2011
    Denmark
    Just dismount the knobs and tape them over with gaffa tape once you found your preferred setting and you wouldn't need worry about too many knobs to adjust.

EHX Micro Bass Synth is great, if expensive.

It does have a lot of sliders though.

Also some kind of gated synthy fuzz like the Mooer Fog Bass (cheaper clone of the Woolly Mammoth) gets your bass to sound radically different, and works great in conjunction with an octaver.

8. ansonsti

ansonsti

Nov 16, 2015
    Western NY
    Speaking of simple up-octaves, the earthquaker devices Tentacle looks like a one button wonder

9. Sunset Shalom

Sunset Shalom

May 9, 2016
    Yup, filter/ modulation and fuzz are your best bet. Envelope filters can be very simple/ complex but you can find a simpler one for fairly cheap these days.

10. zombietag

zombietag

Nov 15, 2016
    honestly, most pedals can make your bass sound pretty radically different so long as you're extreme with the knobs. ive used a big full at full blast with an octave pedal full wet (only the octave sound, no dry mix) and it becomes pretty crazy synthy fast. just crank those knobs and see what the pedals can do, you'll get something unique.

that being said, i personally think being different just to be different is typically a great recipe for a super crappy band

11. Swimming Bird

Swimming Bird

Apr 18, 2006
    Wheaton MD
    Agree w/bass synth comments. Go for the Behringer, Boss or Digitech (the new one, not the old one, the old one is terrible IMO). There are limits to this though. You can get a LOT of mileage out of a good EQ and changing up your playing style to get percussion sounds, etc. Ring mods are much fun and the moog mini is simple. If you consider delays again, try setting delay time short and feedback high - you can get some Soulsonic Force-style stuck filter sounds.

Main thing: Be creative, the bass has an intensely broad sonic range depending on your hands and brain and effects can help you coax the weird out.

12. veryvery

veryvery

May 23, 2016
    CA
    Rainbow machine will do it.

groovebass5 likes this.
  13. ring modulator boi!

ukedealer likes this.
  14. EHX Ravish Sitar.

Korg Miku Stomp.

15. AndreasR

AndreasR

Oct 23, 2012
    Source audio manta with hot hand.

16. baxter_x

baxter_x

Nov 27, 2013
    EU
    The mute button. That effect makes you sound totally diferent!

BadExample and veryvery like this.
  17. Driven Crane

Driven Crane

May 30, 2014
    Boss SY-300

18. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Earthquaker Organizer? Lay a little Bach on the masses?

19. Adamixoye

Adamixoye A PT Pro is cool for worship, right?

Apr 9, 2012
    Occasional Beta Tester for Confusion Studios, Singular Sound, and Source Audio
    Boss SY-300
    Panda Audio Future Impact
    Eventide H9 Max

20. My wildest sounds are line 6 M5 into darkglass duality fuzz. I've been using the line 6 m5 lately for several things. It has models of the ebs octave and digitech whammy so it has a bit of variety can do octave up or down which I mainly use with fuzz. It also has some tremelo and slicer type effects that are pretty crazy combined with fuzz

When not using fuzz I also like the M5 octiverb shimmer reverb and digital delay w/mod

Adamixoye likes this.