looking for effects unit that adds very little colouration

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by steve_man, Jun 24, 2003.

1. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    I just boughtr a new GK700rb and I'm very happy with the settings. so much I don't want any other colour.

I would however like to add a few effects and I'm considering using this effects unit for a headphones practise amp.

I'm looking for something that has very decent effects but not all that amp simulator stuff.

(why spend the extra dough to sound like an amp I don't have when I already have the amp I like?)

I was looking at the boss gt-6b, and a smaller digitech effects unit.

who knows maybe even a rack may do. As long as the effects are good, little to no colour, headphone jack, and I want to try an keep ity simple.
  2. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

It is not clear to me what you mean when you say you want an effects unit that doesn't color your sound. That's what effects do, color your sound!

On the other hand, if you just want a good headphone practice amp, then I suggest you take a look at the Raven Labs PHA-1, or the Fodera practice amp, or the Cafe headphone amp. All of them will give you a really good clean, accurate sound.
  3. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    By colouration I mean the colour of an amp simulation. I don't want the characteristics that I've found in my amp being lost under a whole slew of other amps. For instance an eden or ampeg amp simulatation. Why use this when I have all the warmth, gain, punch and eq features coming from the amp I already have.

I already considered those headphones amps. I would like to get used to using some effects but by the time I get a headphone amp and say 3 effects that would run me at least about $400. I also think that I need to experiment with certain effects so I thought an effects processor would be a way to search for different sounds for different scenarios.
  4. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

It sounds to me like you are looking for an inexpensive multi-effect unit with headphone output, and that you don't care about amp simulation.

If that is the case any of the floor units from DOD, Korg, etc should be just what you are looking for. I suggest that you search this forum for multi-effects unit.
  5. steve_man

May 15, 2002
    Maybe!? I need something that is going to provide decent effects in a live situation as well as for use with headphones.

I haven't heard a whole lot of good about the digitech BP50, korg ax1b, and I remember the DOD's.

Does boss have anything out for bass like ME-50 for guitar? (and no I'm not talking abotu the gt-6b - remember just effects (not trying to sound like a pain:meh: )).

mainly I'm looking for a good octaver, a good delay, a way to practise through use of headphones and I'm wanting to give a few other effects a try.
  6. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
    amp simulation is a very popular thing these days, all the newer units on the market have it. I can see it's uses in recording, but like you I have no interest in it for live use.

In every case I've seen, such as the gt6b, you can switch the amp sim off. but of course, why pay extra money to get a feature you don't use.

You don't say how much you're willing to spend. Like anything, in most cases you get what you pay for. And all multi fx units represent some form of compromise.

The Digitech BP50, Zoom 506 are good value for their money but I'd never gig with one. It'd be the extremely weak link in a Warwick/Alembic/EA chain. The Zoom 708 is, to my ears, the best sounding multi fx under $200. But it's plasticy, so treat it gently if using live. I liked the GT6B, but as I never used the amp sim stuff it was overkill for me. I've heard good things about the new digitech BNX5.

I used to have a Digitech BP8, which I sold when I went to an individual pedal setup. It has a tube in it, and while slightly hissy it's probably my favourite multi fx box ever. You can pick these up used on ebay for between $150-$200.
  7. BFunk

BFunk Supporting Member

Well you already indicated that $400 would be too much. So I think you are looking the less expensive units I already mentioned. Good multi-effects units will run you more. Check TC Electronics, and Lexicon for better quality units.

I use a Korg PX4-B for what you describe. It is a pocket size headphone amp with built-in drum machine, a slew of effects, amp and cab simulators. It also takes external inputs from tape or CD. It also has a phrase looper. I wouldn't recommend it for gigging, but it is a great practice unit.
  8. steve_man

May 15, 2002

I think the digitech was somewhere around $700. I think that's a little out of my ball park. But I will check out the BP8. I've always wondered about that unit.

If I don't go that route I may just go back to a singal pedal setup myself. There's only a few effects I'm interested in at the moment anyways.
    And if I did go for a multi effects setup I'd probobly end up trading it in for a singal pedal setup down the road.

This is something that can provide me with good effects but still allow me to explore different effects.