Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for Empty Cabs

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by NoNoise, Nov 8, 2005.

1. NoNoise

NoNoise Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Hey Everyone. I was wondering if anyone could suggest a place to get relatively cheap empty cabs. I have 2 10" speakers and 1 15" speaker. I figure I'll have to buy 2 cabinets, but I'd love to stuff them in one. Thanks in advance for your help.

2. haujobb

haujobb

Dec 16, 2004
    Wallaceburg
  3. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Thanks. I sent them an email. If anyone else has any suggestions, I gladly welcome them!

4. Loel

Loel Blazin' Acadian Supporting Member

Oct 31, 2004
    drbasscabs.com

5. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    Have you done the math to see what size cab those speakers need to work effectively? don't forget to look into the correct porting as well.

6. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    No, I'm hoping to buy a premade cab. I'd love to find one like the Peavey that is already made for 2 10's and 1 15, but I'll probably end up buying 2 cabs (one for the 2 10's and one for the 15).

7. You do realize what Petebass was getting at? You can't just stuff a set of speakers into some cabinet. You have to match them up. Every speaker has characteristics that cause it to sound different when placing them in various boxes (and boxes with ports). You COULD get lucky with your cab, or you could get a bad combination.

- Andrew

8. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Ah, that makes sense. No, I didn't know that. I have to say that I was hoping to not have to research it too much. I will definitely claim ignorance on this one :p

9. Kael

Kael Supporting Member

Dec 26, 2004
    Oklahoma City
    What did the speakers come out of? Perhaps you could reverse engineer your own cab using wood from your local lumberyard?

10. Crockettnj

Crockettnj

Sep 2, 2005
    North NJ
    post the brand and model number of the speakers. i will lok them up on the "holy-crap-its-got-so-much-info-its-scary" spreadsheet bgavin put together.

We'll then see if anyone can give you some more advice.

as for jsut tossing them in a cab and seeing whats what, i sorta think youd be better off selling them.

11. Mcrelly

Mcrelly

Jun 16, 2003
    Minnesota, USA
    Doesn't avatar sell speakerless cabs?

12. Chef

Chef Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

May 23, 2004
    Columbia MO
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    steelsound, madisound, dr bass, avatar...

can anyone run the numbers on whether a peavey black widow 15 would work in one of the steelsound/madisound boxes?

13. Y, yes, I think they do ...

- Andrew

14. baggman

baggman

Sep 17, 2005
    Boulder, Co.USA
    Bah!! I bought a Gibson Atlas IV cabinet with a blown speaker at a garage sale for $15 in 1997. I replaced the old blown CTS(I think) with a brand new Peavey Black Widow 15" and it sounds great! Earlier this year I built a complimentary 2-10" cab using the volume recommendations of the speaker manufacturer(Eminence). I've been building and "stuffing" speakers for 35 years, and I've never run across a bad combination. :eyebrow:

15. NoNoise

Mar 5, 2005
    New Jersey
    Yes they do, but they cost about $159 for an empty cab. The answer may be for me to just sell the speakers as suggested. I'll post the serials for them soon. All three are Eminence.

16. Petebass

Petebass

Dec 22, 2002
    QLD Australia
    You've neeb a little lucky, and you've been a little smart in following recommended cab sizes. But if you get it wrong, you're greatly increasing your chances of blowing a speaker and/or sounding crappy.

17. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Well, if you're using the volume and porting recommendations of the manufacturer, it's not like you're just trying out random speakers in random boxes with random porting.

Besides that, unless you try a certain speaker in various box/porting configurations, you don't really know if what you've got is a bad combination or not. Inappropriate porting (tuned too high) and cab volume (box too big) can result in easily blown speakers, but most combinations just won't sound as good as they possibly could.

18. BruceWane

BruceWane

Oct 31, 2002
    Houston, TX
    Eminence will usually look up the Theile-Small parameters and e-mail 'em back to you if you e-mail the serial numbers to them. I've done it a few times. They might not if the original buyer had them custom made to their specs though - otherwise you could pretty easily "clone" an awful lot of manufacturers cabinets that use custom Eminence drivers (many - actually most - bass cabs, regardless of the brand name on the grille, have Eminence custom-built drivers in them).

19. baggman

baggman

Sep 17, 2005
    Boulder, Co.USA
    All I used from Eminence was the optimum cabinet volume for one speaker, then I adjusted the dimensions myself for two, and also the dimensions I wanted to have so it would be complimentary to the rest of my rig. :eyebrow:

20. bucephylus

bucephylus Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 18, 2002
    General Manager TecPadz LLC
    Do the T-S parameters for the JBL K-140 line up with the Steelsound 15" enclosures? Where do you look for the correct calculations?

Thanks.