Looking for excellent amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by davidaaron, Jan 22, 2001.

1. davidaaron

Jan 22, 2001
    I am new to this site, so if this has been addressed before I apologize.

I am looking for an amp where cost is not the biggist issue (no, I am not going to pay $10k for the amp). However, what I want is one that sounds great, but most importantly I can play in both Europe and the States without toting a power converter with me.

I play medium sized venues, so it does not have to be a power beast.

I am presently in the UK so it would be nice if it was available here.

2. NJXT

Jan 9, 2001
    Lyon, FRANCE
    I'm kind in the same quest as you are.
    What's your budget ?
    Combo or Rig ?
    What kind of music do you play ?
    What's the kind of sound you like ?
  3. davidaaron

Jan 22, 2001
    I would like to keep the cost under $2k. I have a goliath III cab and bass pod for effects (which I don't completely like the sound of) and a pantera box (which I love).

I play a broad spectrum of music (no head banger stuff), but if I find a solid no frills amp that sounds musical for under $2k I would be happy. Happier if it was under $1k.

4. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    I have said this many times before, and I say it again... EBS Fafner. Although I'm positive I somewhere read that it can handle both 120V and 240V wall sockets, I don't seem to be able to find the page where it was written... so don't take my word for it, but it is a fabulous amp. :)

http://www.ebs.bass.se - EBS website
    http://www.abcmusic.co.uk - UK distributor
  5. muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    Hartke Amps are dual voltage, all ya gotta do is switch the fuse sled in the back around. And I really like their sound-- if you like that machinehead/metallica sound that is. Not to say you cant get other sounds on it though. I currently have a 3500 which runs 350 watts at 4 ohms or 260 at 8, but you can always get two of them, or just buy the 7000 which is 700 watts at 4 ohms. Dual voltage. And they're pretty cheap too.
  6. muzfuz

Oct 2, 2000
    i believe jack bruce used hartke actually...
  7. oo0o00o0oo

Apr 30, 2000
    I think the Fafner would be perfect considering your specifications.... wish I had that kind of change to spend.
  8. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    San Diego (when not at Groom Lake)
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    EBS Fafner
    Eden WT-800
    Aguilar something-or-other

The EBS and Glock are made in Europe.