Looking for Fat Mike of NOFX tone. Help!!

Discussion in 'Bassists [BG]' started by DrunkleTerry, Dec 12, 2015.

Tags:
  1. DrunkleTerry

DrunkleTerry

Dec 12, 2015
    Hey! I'm new to talkbass so I apologize if this is in the wrong section of the forum but I'm looking to get a basstone like Fat Mike from NOFX. I've heard that it's all in the Danelectro DC that he plays and I've heard that many people have gotten the same tone with a variety of basses. So what's the secret? I've included in this post a picture of the Dano he plays live. If anyone knows where I could get one let me know. Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. BigBobbyBass

BigBobbyBass

Jan 23, 2015
    Danelectro bass and SVT+8-10(now). He used to play various fenders and GandL's through a Mesa Boogie basis, and awesome technique..

3. Hi Drunkle,
    I just borrowed one of these basses from a co-worker who is looking to sell it. He will most likely get rid of it for $350 + shipping. Its a 99' metal flake black finish. Great condition with 1 small 1/4" ding being the only noticable damage. Its the version with no truss rod and a bridge that isn't really adjustable. That being said it played really well and I was tempted to buy. I may be able to track down his phone # for you if you're interested - email me @ [email protected]

4. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    I got my DC Bass because of Fat Mike's tone, and because he would take it off at the end of shows and just chuck it across the stage to Timmy the Turtle. When i saw that, i was going "damn that thing must be light as a feather" - it is (which is something i really like about it).

Agreed. There's no denying the sound of the Dano, but a lot of his tone also comes from the cranked SVT and his picking technique - it's all about locking those triplets in with Smelly's kick.

It's an awesome bass whether you can cop Fatty's tone or not, and the best news of all is that they're reissuing them this year. They're under $500 and worth every penny.

5. Killed_by_Death

Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

The secret is not to use any effects. :woot:

PDX Rich and musicman666 like this.
  6. CatSquare

CatSquare

Mar 7, 2014
    None of them!

7. PDX Rich

PDX Rich

Dec 19, 2014
    Portland, OR
    Sorry for necro-post, but I really, really want to build a replica o' FatMikeBass. Perhaps this year!

8. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 15, 2021