1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for Feedback: Please Listen

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bwest9, Mar 10, 2010.

1. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Just finished an album 2 years in the making, and looking for some constructive criticism not just on the bass parts and tone (recorded with a 5-string Warwick Thumbs), but on the whole shebang as well.

If you have a moment, listen to the clips below.... thanks!

2. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    And another...

3. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Ok, last one!

4. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    I've just listened to Cellular, Somebody's Machine, and Evolution three times.

Overall they sound smooth and radio-ready. :)

I REALLY like the refreshingly clear, intelligible vocals (and I'm also a sucker for sweet female harmonies backing a male lead & vice-versa).

The playing is thoroughly professional. I even *chokes* like the slap bass in Somebody's Machine (generally I like slap bass about as much as I enjoy bagpipes without whiskey).

One thing though: IMO you'd do well to lose the 3rd "'round town tryin' to find" in Somebody's Machine. It causes a loss of momentum in the tune's dance-able rhythm. 'Gotta keep it rolling.

My .02.

5. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Awesome, thanks for taking the time, MIJ, much appreciated.

If I may ask, what's you opinion of the bass tone and level? Dull? Too low in the mix? Just right?

6. Barkless Dog

Barkless Dog Barkless to a point

Jan 19, 2007
    Everything sounded pretty good to me.

7. MIJ-VI

MIJ-VI Inactive Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2009
    On my audio-technica ATH-M20 'phones the bass tone and level sits in the mix well and supports the vocals--which in this case is a good thing. :)

The best advice I've read on mixing a recording is that one should not stop mixing until it sounds good on every playback system one owns.

Disclaimer: I'm not an audio professional. I just know what I like.

8. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Good advice, thanks.

Anyone else... comments? Thoughts? Fears?

9. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    Bump.

10. bwest9

bwest9

Apr 14, 2009
    Boston, MA
    No other thougts folks? Even if they're negative?

11. The vox might benefit a bit of EQing in Cellular.
    When your voice goes high, it gets a lot more present, but giving it more mid-hi (or taking off a bit of everything else) could help.

sounds good though :)... I'm gonna listen to the others

12. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Nov 27, 2020