1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for first amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by Souperman08, Sep 28, 2010.

1. Souperman08

Souperman08

Sep 26, 2010
    First of all, I've been watching this forum for awhile after a friend told me how great the discussions/info to be found here is. I finally decided to bite the bullet and join, even though I'm normally a guitar player. However, recently I've started playing semi-weekly for my church's college worship band as a bass player, so I've been trying to pick up as much about bass playing as I can.

So, heres my situation. I play about every other week in a large room for about 400-500 people. All the guitars play thru amps which are kept in a back room, and miked. Right now I just play direct into the board, or into a Digitech RP500 into the board. Normally I would just look at getting a sansamp or some kind of similar direct box, but I also would like something that I could mike when I gig, and practice with when I'm not gigging. The first amp I was thinking of was a Marshall MB15, because I've played thru a friend's and I absolutely loved the sound of it. I also saw that Vox has a bass amp for 100, and it looks good (I love everything guitar-wise that I've played by Vox), but I've never gotten to actually play thru one. Any suggestions about these two amps, or suggestions on something better? $200 is probably the most I could feasibly spend, and I would really prefer to keep it under that.

Oh, and for whatever it's worth, I currently play a stock Squier Standard Jazz bass, but I'll soon(ish) be playing a Squier P/J bass with Dimarzio pickups :hyper:

2. Souperman08

Souperman08

Sep 26, 2010
    Bump, anybody?

3. Bassdirty

Bassdirty Supporting Member

Jul 23, 2010
    CT
    Well...as always people will suggest , shop used.

That being said, I personally reccomend the "Acoustic" brand amp.

I got a used B200 from GC ($199), and it is absolutely awesome for the money.
    I needed suttin quick n cheap for practice.
    I chose this over the Fender cRumble 100, and some other smaller amps.
    Sounds good, and plenty of power.

They also make a B100 that is ($249 New)so..if you can find one used, should be plenty cheap.

Also...If you're lookin used , check out peavey.Another good bang for buck.
    I bought a used 600watt peavey head for $99.

I'm assuming you're looking for a combo though, so you can prolly find an old Peavey TNT 130, better yet, a TNT 150 well within your price range.
    As with most peaveys, Heavy,But reliable.

Well..that's my $.02

4. Souperman08

Souperman08

Sep 26, 2010
    I'll look into the Peavys. I've actually played thru some Acoustic amps before, and while they were good, they just sounded too clean to me. I'd like something I can mix in a little gain/overdrive.

5. T. Alan Smith

T. Alan Smith Guest

Sep 9, 2001
    For 1st amps, I generally recommend sticking with industry standards. In this case, the Peavey TNT for a combo and the GK 800RB for a head.

6. Souperman08

Souperman08

Sep 26, 2010
    I'm starting to think about just using a little guitar amp I have (at VERY low volumes) for practicing, and then getting a good bass DI. Just missed out on a Behringer bass DI for $15 : /

7. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 7, 2021