Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for First DB in NY area

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Confucius, Jan 3, 2005.

1. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    I am very eager to get started playing Double Bass. Since I live in the New York City area -- I went to David Gage and tried out a bunch of basses but of course was most interested in basses costing more than triple of what I was expecting to pay. The ones I could afford were probably ok but I couldn't decide which would be best for me not being a player yet. I would like to get a good sounding and reliable bass that can be set up with low action (at least while I am starting to learn). Any advice for where else I can look?

2. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
  3. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    Check also www.bassgarden.net or with Jeff Bollbach. Steve LaSpina seems to be selling the Wan Bernadels, he's over in Joisey...

4. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
  5. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Check them all out.. also go to Paul Biase. He has alot of nice Basses as well as a few to die for.. but we're talking a different range there..

Shop till u drop.. so they say..

Ideal has alot of old stock so his prices are great on the lowere end Euro Basses. Arnold has a full range in his shop last time I was there. Kolstein's inventory will make you dizzy.

Most important.. set a goal.. "What is the Most you can spend on a Bass at this time?".. Play all you can in that range along with a few slightly higher.. Your funds may change as ur ears open up. Like the Majician with the Coin he pulls from behind your ear..

6. godoze

godoze

Oct 21, 2002
    i can second the trip to Paul Biase. His inventory is small but VERY selective....

When I was there I played so many Very Fine pedigreed basses that I was in a stupor for days afterward.

Not that I could afforf them but it gave me great perspective on the rest of the bass world.

7. Confucius

Confucius

Dec 27, 2004
    New York
    Thanks for the advice. Hopefully I can find something good soon so I can get started. I am more interested in playing music than shopping.

8. Leco reis

Leco reis

Sep 2, 2004
    Astoria, NY
    what is the location of Paul Biase's shop?
    Anyone knows?

9. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Paul is usually by appointment. More for your benefit than yours. He deals in alot of vintage stuff and is not always in. He is 'usually' in after lunch each dat around 12:30-1pm. He is at 130 W. 42nd. Street. I will PM his phone number to you. He doesn't have a secretary to answer phones.