Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for first hand knowledge of B2RE

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by sedan_dad, Feb 15, 2006.

1. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    I'm a Ampeg guy .
    I've always used SVT's in my day.
    Now I'm a bit older and the bars are smaller.I've been seriously thinking about this Ampeg B2RE Bass Amp Head/BSE-410HLF 4x10" Half Stack.
    I'd think 450 watts would be enough and I really don't want to dump 2grand in a amp.
    These can be had for $1100 which is about all I'd want to spend.
    Has anyone used this setup?
    Or any of the new B series Ampegs?
    I've tried a Eden Metro combo with a 210 extention cab and it was alright but not worth 2 grand.I didn't think it had the lows I like.Maybe I didn't have it set right .I just had it for one night.
    I don't mean to offend the Eden fans but serious lows are important to me.
    I really need to hear first hand experance.

2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Here are a few observations (I own a B2R which has 100 watts less power).

First off-does that setup let you run the head at 4ohms? I've found that the B2R sounds much better (thicker) at 4 ohms vs. 8 ohms-it likes to use its power.

The B2r really does sound good, the major complaint is that it runs out of steam-I am hoping that the extra grunt added with the B2RE will put it over the edge and have acceptable headroom.

Also...(and this works with a friends SVT-III Pro too), a trick to get the most kick out of the B2R is to max the master and control your volume with the pre-gain.

3. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    +1 I tried the Ampeg B2R with an 8ohm cab and then with a 4ohm. It kicked ass with a 4ohm cab! Huge difference, much louder. I was not impressed with it operating at 8ohms. If you are getting a stand alone 4x10 then get the 4ohm IMO. Best to ya!

4. bigbeefdog

bigbeefdog Who let the dogs in?

Jul 7, 2003
    Mandeville, LA
    You do realize that they're a bit different now. The amp you're referring to is all SS, not tube.

Would probably work out just fine for you, as long as you're in small to medium rooms.... but try one out if you can. In the event that you don't like the B2RE as you liked your old SVT's, there are plenty of other good options for $1100. Perhaps even some all-tube options.

5. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I'm having this dilema right now. I've got one Hartke VX410 8 ohm cab running off of my B2R and it really isn't very powerful. My volume is disapointing. Check out my thread for some more info that may be useful .

I plan on purchasing a 4 ohm Avatar Neo 410 when I get some extra cash though. That way I'll get louder now and still have room to upgrade heads when the time comes.

6. spectorbass83

spectorbass83

Jun 6, 2005
    canada
    In your case I would add a 2nd cab...the best way to increase volume is to add more speakers...you will be pushing twice as much air with a 2nd 4x10. I will take a look through your thread in a second, but if portability is not an issue for you, get a 2nd cab..

7. sedan_dad

sedan_dad Supporting Member

Feb 5, 2006
    Mudsock,Ohio
    This is what I got from Ampegs site.
    RMS Power Output (4 ohms): 450
    RMS Power Output (8 ohms): 250

A hundred watts?

8. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

Apr 13, 2004
    NY
    Yeah, the B2R is 350 watts at 4ohms and thin crap at 8 ohms.
    :D

9. What you might want to look for is an ampeg V4B, its a bit lighter than an SVT, but still has that glorious all tube sound, and you'll be able to open it up more in smaller rooms compaired to an SVT :)

And you could get it second hand for ALOT cheaper, and it would sound alot better IMO

10. I have a B2R, and I like the sound. The graphic EQ is awesome. It doesn't get very loud at all, though. The B2RE has 100 more watts, but I don't even know if that would get it up to a good volume for medium gigs.

There are also many better heads in that price range eg the Ash ABM 500 EVO II

11. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV

I have the b2r as well along with an ampeg 410 and 115 and it pushes pretty hard. I read somewhere that 100watts is usually only adds a couple decibels. I'll look around for it and report back.

12. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    Yeah, you won't get much louder with only 100 watts. It does only add a few dB's but that doesn't mean the B2RE isn't a better amp. If I had a choice, I'd choose the B2RE over the B2R, but thats just me.

jpark, you say you have a 410 and a 115 and its pretty loud? How loud is it if you only use the Ampeg 410? I'm assuming sedan_dad would be using a 4 ohm 410HLF but I'm just curious if your B2R pushing an 8 ohm 410 alright. (I have a B2R pushing a Hartke 8 ohm 410 and its not very loud, which is why I'm asking).

13. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV

If i had the choice I would have picked the b2re over the b2r as well, but I got a deal I couldn't pass up.

It doesn't push as hard b/c the amp doesn't have as much power output @ 8ohms. My cabs are both 8ohms.

14. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I know they are both 8 ohms but I'm wondering how good it sounds with only 1 410 8ohm cab for you. My real question, sorry to jack a thread, is weather I should buy one 410 4 ohm cab (ampeg, aggie or avatar) or a second 8 ohm cab. Right now I have 1 8 ohm cab (Hartke VX410) and my rig isn't loud enough. Will it be loud enough with a one 410 4 ohm?

15. jpark

jpark

Feb 2, 2006
    WV

As already mentioned before, the b2r does sound a little thin running into a single 8 ohm cab. I definitely can tell a difference when I hook up my 1x15. If I were you I would take my amp to the guitar store and A/B a 4 ohm 410 and 2 8ohm cabs. If you don't have that option I'm with spectorbass83 and I would add another 8ohm cab.

However, that depends on how your back feels and if you're able to get the extra cab around.

16. I have a B2Re and am running it through an Ashdown MAG 410 @ 8ohms. I too was disappointed with my volume, but when I ran a 15 and brought it up to 4 ohms I crushed the band! I am now either going to rewire my Ashdown to 4 ohms or just buy another MAG 410- loud, loud cab!!!!:bassist:

17. detracti

detracti

May 5, 2006
    Seattle
    I had a B2R. Running a pair of cabs at 4 ohms was definitely a huge improvement over a single 8. I thought it was pretty warm & punchy for an all solid-state head. Also thought it had its own straight-ahead characteristic voice that was easy to fine tune, within its range, to what I wanted.

18. Vorak

Vorak

Dec 6, 2005
    Madison, WI
    I've actually gotten rid of the Hartke and picked up an Ampeg HLF-410 and I LOVE it. I plan on eventually upgrading to a nicer amp (SVT-3 or something, any suggestions?) but for now, I am really enjoying my tone.