1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to post, make friends, earn reward points at our store, remove most ads and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

looking for flying-v bass knock-off

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Psyrcle, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

I'm looking for a cheap version of the flying-v bass. The Epiphone one looks fruity with gold hardware. Anything out there?

2. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

BUMP

Comon guyz, I know you are more useful than this.

3. It may look fruity, but it plays halfway decent for what they ask for it. Find a used one.

4. Psyrcle

Psyrcle Guest

to be honest it is the gold hardware. If it was chrome I would have 3 in my arsenal within the next few hours. I called the epiphone custom shop and they told me it would cost $150+ to replace the hardware because chrome isn't standard. As much BS as that is how can I get around it. I must know.

5. Well, that 150 bucks is the cost of the hardware, plus labor, + an upcharge for disrupting their usual production...so, price out the hardware and do it yourself. Same some coin.

Ron

edit: does Epi even offer the V anymore? I don't see it on the site....

6. +1. I think Mon meant save some coin.

It shouldn't be too hard to change the hardware out yourself. If as you say you would have 3 in your arsenal, it's not too much to spend. You could then sell the unwanted parts on eBay.

7. Brendan

Brendan Supporting Member

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    $150 isn't too bad. It's probably about $70-100ish for the hardware, and then cost of labor.

8. Exactly. recoup even more $$$ on the intitial savings you made for yourself by swapping the parts yourself. It's a win-win if'n you ask me.