Looking for fretless solo recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by Guss, Nov 20, 2002.

1. Any amazing solo fretless recordings you know of?
    I'm in my school library, so I can't type much for long. Thanks.:) ;)
  2. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    Donna Lee - Jaco Pastorius..
  3. jerry

jerry Doesn't know BDO Gold Supporting Member

Dec 13, 1999
    Steve Lawson & Michael Manring both have solo fretless stuff out......and Alain Caron has one with a upright player I can't recall right now called 'Bass Contrabass' that is great!
  4. moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    In fact, anything by Jaco Pastorius. His self-titled first album is a good one.

EDIT: Wow, just noticed this is my 500th post. Geez I've got a way to go to catch up with JT and co... :)
  5. bassmonkeee

bassmonkeee Supporting Member

Sep 13, 2000
    Decatur, GA
    Definitely check out Steve Lawson's stuff. I've got both of his solo discs, and his duet album with Jez Carr. All are great.

Jaco's first album has some great stuff, but a lot of it was actually recorded with a fretted bass. "Portrait of Tracy," in particular.

Alain Caron is great. And, so is Gary Willis.

Lots of good stuff available these days.
  6. Ian Perge

Ian Perge Supporting Member

May 11, 2001
    Evansville, Indiana
    You really can't go wrong with Tony Levin's "Waters of Eden" - the vast majority is fretless bass, with a touch of electric upright and NS electric cello. No frets on those as well. :D
  7. Get Micheal Manring's cd "Thonk."

If you want a sample, try looking for Monkey Businessman on Kazaa or something.
  8. Wrong Robot

Wrong Robot Guest

Apr 8, 2002
    though not many people seem to like him here, but,
    steve bailey is a monster fretless player he does a lot of slow melodic textbook style solos but its still good stuff(sort of...it kind of gets old quickly) :D
  9. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    thanks guys for suggesting my stuff...

...of course, I fully endorse their comments... :D

And would also second the 'Waters Of Eden' suggestion - some great fretless on there.

Also a MUST for melodic fretless is 'Time To Think' by Mo Foster. An exquisitely beautiful record, that should be selling millions by now if all was well with the world. - check out www.mofoster.com for more info, and I think there's CC ordering there. Whatever, just get it, support Mo, and be amazed. His tone, phrasing and feel are superlative, and his compositional chops are first rate.

...oh, and my stuff too... :D

www.steve-lawson.co.uk (cd ordering, gig details, guestbook, mailing list, blog etc...)