Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for Funk Brothers recordings

Discussion in 'Recordings [BG]' started by bassbrad, May 13, 2003.

1. I'm working my way thru "Standing In the Shadows of Motown" DVD and CD and am looking for other available recordings of instrumentals featuring the Funk Brothers. I picked up a set of unreleased Motown called "Cellarful of Motown" that has 3 tracks but cannot seem to find anything else.

I am also trying to figure out which recording they talk about with the impossible Bob Babbit bass line referred to as 'Scorpio' or 'Theme from Scorpio'. I found a listing for a Dennis Coffey & Motown Guitar Ensemble track by that title, but would like to be sure before going the distance.

Are there perhaps releases available in the UK or Europe that offer more instrumantal recordings of the Funk Brothers?
    Thanx, Brad M:confused:

2. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The Dennis Coffey tune IS the version of Scorpio with the Bob Babbit bass line that you're looking for.

The SITSOM DVD inspired me to revisit that tune as well :cool: .

3. JimK

JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    The Dennis Coffey album with "Scorpio" has never been issued on cd...sometimes, www.dustygrooves.com will have a used vinyl version pop up(& it sells quick, too!).

Anyway-
    I have "Scorpio" on one of those '70s R&B Compilation cds...I searched by song name("Scorpio") at www.towerrecords.com & found it.
    I then popped down to my local store & picked it up.
    It's a baaaaddd tune!

"Taurus" is another Coffey/Babbitt instrumental gem that's difficult to find.

4. moley

moley

Sep 5, 2002
    Hampshire, UK
    I sense a running theme... :D

5. Turock

Turock Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2000
    Melnibone
    IIRC, at the time Scorpio was released, he went by the name of Dennis Coffey and the Detroit Guitar Band.

6. Slater

Slater Bye Millen! Hello?

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    Same here.

Also, try www.allmusic.com to find all the CDs Scorpio is available on.

7. DaveBeny

DaveBeny

Mar 22, 2000
    London, UK
    Some time ago, I "acquired" an mp3 of an instrumental track called 'Fever in the Funkhouse' - the artist's name was James Jamerson. A search on Allmusic throws up an album called Motown Year by Year: The Sound of Young America - 1969'.

DB

8. Thanx ya'll, the search is on.