1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for Fuzz to create similar to to this (Radiohead Clip Inside)

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by Modern Growl, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Jared Lash

Jared Lash Born under punches Supporting Member

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
  2. birdman14

birdman14

Feb 7, 2011
    Boston
  3. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
  4. ^ Gotcha. I've never got into the fuzz thing... do you think I could pull off a similar tone with a pedal that would preserve a decent low end? MXR Fuzz? Aguilar Agro? I'm lost when it comes to fuzzes...

I think his tone is great - but I don't want to be limited to "thin" sounding fuzz... what are some of the better fuzzes out there that are versitile?

5. His tone sounds like it has plenty of low end to me....

Sounds as fat if not fatter than when he turns it off, judging by the live clip.

6. vegas532

vegas532 Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2006
    Pensacola, FL.
    Don't forget the Wattson FY-2. That thing is a dead nuts clone!!

Tourniquet Man likes this.
  7. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    To clarify, "nasal" is probably a better word than "thin" since I don't know how much (if any) low end the Shin Ei cuts. Of course you can always use a clean blend as well.

Or pick up a nasal fuzz with a built on clean blend control. The IE Oxide or Chunk Brown Dog come to mind.

8. The Shin Ei is very easy to build if that's your fancy.

9. TaySte_2000

TaySte_2000

Jun 23, 2001
    Manchester, UK
    Endorsing Artist: Mojohand, Subdecay, Overwater, Matamp
    I had this one, it does nail that sound but once you've done it that it will get old really quickly, that said I've kicked around the idea of picking one up again, I don't know why though

10. Thanks for the input guys. I think I'm going to take a turn for something a bit more easy to get/return if I don't dig like MXR or Aguilar pedals...

11. Jared Lash

Aug 21, 2006
    Northern California
    I haven't used the new MXR Bass Fuzz but I WILL say that while the AGRO is a fine pedal, it will NOT get you that sound.

As for MXR fuzzes, I'd wager that the Blowtorch would cop the tone better than the Bass Fuzz but again, I haven't tried the new MXR fuzz so it's just an educated guess on my part.

12. Just to revisit this a bit - I think your right about the Blow Torch. I've yet to play with any of these pedals in person, but only going off youtube video's, the Blow Torch seems the most appealing to me.

For some reason I'm not into the "full on fuzz tone". I like the tone of Radiohead's National Anthem begining bassline and it doesn't seem like the MXR Bass Fuzz Deluxe can pull it off.

I guess I figured out I'm looking for a more "overdrive/distorted/fuzz" pedal - which the Blow Torch seems like it covers all in one. A bit more versitile, especially for me since I'm not looking for that full on crazy fuzz tone.

13. Would the Zvex Woolly Mammoth be able to create the fuzz tones from Myxamotosis? The fuzz in that song is very Synthy and sawtooth waved which is what the Mammoth does best.

My bad on resurrecting this thread

14. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
  15. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    The mammoth is too thick, fuzz factory may get closer.

16. Is this the Moog Freqbox? It sounds pretty close. I never looked much into this pedal because there are very few sound tests of it anywhere

17. Alien8

Alien8

Jan 29, 2014
    Yup it is! It's close, could be a bit more rough / splatty to really nail it.

The song is so layered too - there's a synth, bass & guitar all contributing. The FreqBox seems to keep the low end fairly present with this setting, which is nice. It's a fun pedal, lots of fuzz tones, but lots beyond fuzz too.