1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for gibson rippers

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by RBU2003, Oct 2, 2017.

1. RBU2003

RBU2003

Sep 30, 2017
    Especially 1975 maples.

2. bholder

bholder Affable Sociopath Supporting Member

Sep 2, 2001
    Vestal, NY
    Received a gift from Sire* (see sig)
    Don't look in my basement, ok? :cool:

3. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    RBU2003 likes this.
  4. I believe he was actually asking for people to post pictures of their Ripper's so he/we can see them no?

5. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Why?

6. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Maybe. :D To me, "Looking for" without any modifiers, in this setting, generally will mean that the person would like to acquire the thing. "Looking for [examples, photos, etc.] of" would mean they would like to see the thing.

Since the OP used just about the fewest words possible, they invited multiple interpretations of their post (at best).

7. For sure, guess we'll just have to wait if the OP ever comes back and lets us know more specific. :D

40Hz, I guess some people just like seeing what others have, it's been done numerous times on here before I am sure you know.

40Hz likes this.
  8. RBU2003

RBU2003

Sep 30, 2017
    Im actually more interested in their shape and their diffrences between other ripper models from different years.

bholder likes this.
  9. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Exactly...

moonshinegtrs and klejst like this.
  10. Snaxster

Snaxster

Nov 29, 2008
    Basvarken and 40Hz like this.
  11. Asimov

Asimov

Dec 5, 2014
    Maryland
    I can tell you that the models made from 1975 on have a slimmer and more contoured body. Also, in 75 and partway through 76 the bodies were made with alder. All other production years use maple bodies. Thick body models with tobacco burst are rare, a Ripper with either body type in cherryburst is very rare, like mine.

Son of Wobble, 40Hz and lowdownthump like this.
  12. NOVAX

NOVAX

Feb 7, 2009
    Kalifornia
    IMG_0061.JPG
    1979. I had a 75 with a severe torsional twist in the neck- this one is as straight as a laser.

13. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Apologies if my initial question might have come across the wrong way. I was trying to narrow down the scope of the OP's question. I didn't know if he was looking to acquire one, wanted to know more abut them or, or wanted to see pictures. So I thought I'd ask before replying which I since have. :)

14. No problem man, I don't think any of us originally knew exactly what the OP was getting at. I guess according to his above response he was looking for input on the different years they came out and apparently any differences between them?

40Hz likes this.
  15. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Ah!

In that case I have two Rippers. A 1974 model and what I believe is an '82.

The earlier has the original body and cosmetics. Numbered metal switchplate on the single-ply pickguard, and the rounder less sculpted body of the first two years. More significant differences are a two-way adjustable pair of pickups that have two screws through the center of the pickup for adjusting height and side-to-side tilt. The biggest difference is the neck profile. On the earlier models it was significantly thinner than the later models which adopted a profile closer to Gibson's chunkier LesPaul/EB style basses.

Here's my 1974:

2015-06-25 22.02.28_1.jpg

The post-75 models switched to a more sculpted shape, added molded numbers to the new 3-ply pickguard, and adopted a beefier neck. The pickups were now 3-way adjustable with the adjustment screws mounted through the plastic of the pickup covers. Underneath the covers, however, they were the same Indox-7 ceramic sidewinders Bill Lawrence had originally designed for the Ripper. Underlying electronics were still electrically identical although there were some minor changes to the physical wiring. But the tonestack sounded and worked the same as the original wiring. So despite the minor changes, the newer Ripper played and sounded eactly the same as the earlier models.

Here's my 1982:

2017-04-15 08.11.31.jpg

@Snaxster already posted the same links I was going to post so I won't repeat them here.

The Flyguitars webpage is a trove of good information on all things Gibson when it comes to bass. Highly recommended.

I'm not a Gibson historian or expert by any stretch. But I am an unabashed admirer of Gibson basses, and I've been playing one or another of them since the early seventies. So if there's any question I can answer for you about my own experience with Gibson basses - or Rippers in particular - ask away. That '74 Ripper was bought new by me back in April of 1974. It's still completely factory original (except for the strings) as well as being my main bass since the day I got it. So when it comes to that bass at least, I actually do have some expertise. :laugh:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
    lowdownthump likes this.
  16. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Wow! An actual cherryburst Ripper. The tobacco was rare enough. Something like just shy of 700 of those were made. But I've been given to understand that the cherryburst was never an official color, and fewer than 20 of them were ever made. Supposedly they had been done up that way for showing off at trade shows before Gibson had a change of heart about doing them in that finish.

Talk about something as pretty as a unicorn - and just about as rare!

Congratulations on you being the proud owner of one of those. :thumbsup:

Last edited: Oct 3, 2017
  17. Asimov

Asimov

Dec 5, 2014
    Maryland
    She certainly is a unicorn, at least to me! Although I will say that she might be even rarer than 1 of 20. Most of the Cherryburst models made were pre-1975 thick body models. Mine is a 1975 thin body. The only other one I have ever seen in Cherryburst with the thin body belongs to Mark Evans of AC/DC.

f37e7fd3-fb53-4fcc-a72e-ce4b72957a53.jpg

18. jaymelewis

jaymelewis

Jan 6, 2010
    Fillmore, CA
    I'm tracking with a Grabber today - never tried a Ripper but I've always wanted to!

19. 40Hz

40Hz Supporting Member

Has some degree of sonic similarity to the Ripper and G3. But it's still very much its own thing in many ways.

I'd love to own all three members of that Gibson family. Finding them in what I consider acceptable condition is a challenge however. Especially Grabbers, which always seemed to attract an extra share of abuse.

Maybe someday…(Yeah. Like I need another bass right now. I've got an SB-300 on the way to me as we speak. :rolleyes:)

20. Sixgunn

Sixgunn

Jun 6, 2012
    Colorado Springs
    I don't wait 30 minutes after eating, to go swimming.
    How 'bout a Gripper? A Ripper with a Grabber headstock :)