1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for good 1x10 or 1x12 combo in the $300-$425 OTD

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by lavaman67, Mar 4, 2008.

1. lavaman67

lavaman67 Supporting Member

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Hey All,

I am looking for a solid combo in a 1x10 or 1x12 for practice at home and when I get together with singer/songwriters to write. I have tested a Bassman 150 and a Line 6 LowDown Studio 110 within the last week. The Line 6 was ok, but frankly I would rather have the thought put into the overall sound of the combo rather than a bunch of bells and whistles I won't use. A lot of silly effects or amp modeling is not what I want to pay for. I am willing to pay for sound #1 and build quality #2. I do need a headphone jack for late nights at home. The Bassman 150 was nice and it's definitely on the short list, but I was wondering if anyone has been out shopping lately. My local GC is Ampeg, Fender, GK, MarkBass and that's about it. I don't want a 1x15 because of the size and that's all I am seeing lately with Ampeg, at least at my GC. Never really played a GK combo, and Markbass combos seem to be out of my price range. Again, I am just looking for something that sounds great for what it is. I am not under the delusion that I am going to get a 10-12" combo to sound like my Mesa 400+/Bergantino NV610. I think you can get an idea of my sound by judging my main rig. Just a much smaller package I guess. If that's even possible. Ok, enough. Have at it and thanks in advance for any advice.

Bob

2. MODNY

MODNY Guest

Nov 9, 2004
    i think ashdown is not bad for that price range

3. lavaman67

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    The Ashdown combos fall into a odd place for me. Though interesting, power wise I would prefer to be in between the " Electric Blue" series and the "All Access" series. The "EB" series also doesn't have headphone capability.

4. smogg

smogg

Mar 27, 2007
    NPR, Florida
    I'm not crazy, I'm just a little unwell
    in your price range other than the bassman150 (which i use) you might look at the SWR working pro 1x12 combo. I would say it's a little more "hi-fi" than the bassman. I got to A/B them when i got my bassman150 and for me the bassman was a better fit. But a friend of mine said he preferred the working pro. ya know; red apple vs green apple thing.
    hope this helps

5. lavaman67

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    Feature wise the WorkingPro 12 looks great, but it seems to be well over $425 OTD. Also from reading only, I am little worried the tweeter wouldn't be for me. After reading reviews, it's coming off as harsh and it's not defeatable.

6. Fender Bassman 150. 150-Watts into 1x12" with a tilt-back cab, and an XLR w/ seperate volume control all for $450! You could probably find one used or just negotiate with GC. Good luck!

7. i use the fender bassman 150 (combo)

after almost 2 years i bought a second one to handle large concerts or situations with multiple Marshall stacks ;)

i have yet to hear a combo that sounds as good as the little fender!!!

when my friend was buying his combo we AB ed the SWR workingman12 pro and i didn't get it... the swr is supposed to have 50w more and swr is supposed to be a better amp... let me tell you it is quieter and more bright and doesn't have a lot of bottom!!!

8. SteveC

SteveC Moderator Staff Member

Nov 12, 2004
    North Dakota
    Roland Cube 100

9. lavaman67

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    While the Cube has my interest, I am not sure about the straight sound quality. Sound quality is #1. I am just worried I would be sacrificing overall fundamental bass sound quality for all the effects and amp modeling. Frankly, it's not stuff I really see using and I don't want to pay for bells and whistles. That being said, I have never heard a Cube 100, so I may be unfairly assuming that it would be sacrificing the speaker and overall sound quality.

10. bmc

bmc

Nov 15, 2003
    Switzerland
    Try one. I was impressed and bought one. I use it flat.

11. lavaman67

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    The problem at least presently, is that I can't find one. They are not stocking them at GC's in the metro Detroit area, and the two local spots I hit on occasion, Low Down and Huber and Breese are stocking them either. If anyone in the Detroit area knows of where to test drive one please let me know.

12. lavaman67

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    At this point, I am leaning towards the Bassman 150, but does anyone else have any insight? It would be appreciated.

13. 62bass

62bass

Apr 3, 2005
    Take a look at the Yorkville/Traynor combos. Can't be beat for the price. I have the Yorkville XM50C for home practice and teaching. Good sounding with a lot more beef than you'd expect for its small size. 50 watts, 1x10" speaker, weighs 30 lbs. It has an XLR line out so you can go direct to a PA if you want. Headphone jack, RCA inputs for a CD input if you want to play with recorded stuff. 3 band eq that works. I paid $329 Canadian for mine. Made in Canada.

Check the current Yorkville/Traynor Club thread just going on now. You'll find a number of fans there.

Oh yeah, a 2 year, even if you break it warranty in North America.

14. lavaman67

Feb 13, 2006
    Ypsilanti, MI
    I haven't look into Yorkville. They seem a little underpowered on paper compared to the Fender Bassman's and they don't seem to have a 12", which I am kinda leaning towards as of this minute.

15. hairscrambled

hairscrambled Commercial User

Feb 1, 2006
    Albuquerque, NM
    Store owner, Grandma's Music & Sound
    +1

16. Revvv

Revvv

Oct 31, 2007
    Georgia
    Hartke B900 = 90 watts and a 1X15. I think I bought mine for less than $300 and it does a great job.