Looking For Good 4 String Bass To Buy......?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by DuncanFlea, May 12, 2001.

1. Hey I am wondering if anyone has any input as to what would be the best 4 string bass for me to buy. I am looking for something around 1000$ or so. I have been looking at some Ibanez's and a few warwick's but not sure. Any suggestions or inputs would be much appreciated. Thanks,
  2. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
  3. Thanks for the website, I can't believe how cheap those prices are. And these guitars and basses all look great and seem to be very well built.
  4. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi Mike, and welcome to TB. I see in your profile that you currently have a Fender P and a Yamaha?
    Are you looking for a completely different sound and feel than what you have? I'm not even going to try and recommend a bass, but there are about 30 brands out there you could try. With a thousand bucks in your pocket, you can have a hell of a good time trying at least a dozen of them, depending on your style of music. That said, get a Stingray.
  5. Thanks for the info snyderz, I will take a look at some stingrays then. I guess that you could say that I am kind of headed for a different sound then my fender and my yamaha. I bought both of them pretty much as beginner basses and now that I am getting a little bit better I was looking for something with little better tone and playability to it. Even though I am still learning the art of slapping, I would like to get something that has a better slap and pop tone to it yet it is still a good all around bass that looks good.
  6. Ryan L.

Ryan L. Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Aug 7, 2000
    West Fargo, ND
    Well, with about $1000 to spend, you should be able to buy something really nice. Like a bolt neck Warwick. Or a Peavey Cirrus.
  7. Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Me? I *may* be partial, but the Dave Pushics are a pretty good bass... not to mention really good basses. Did I mention that they are really good basses?:D

Seriously, I'd take a look at some Warwicks, a Ibanez BTB. Very good basses, the best Ibanez makes, people that hate Ibanez even agree it's pretty good.

Also, Fear not Cort basses, the Curbow series is excellent. And the more expensive ones are even better

Not sure but I think a MTD could be had for that kind of money. Look into those, used is nessicary.

That's my two cents.
  8. craigb

craigb Supporting Member

I'll have to put in my usual recommendation to check out a G&L L2000. Very versatile, well made and I love mine. If you try one but don't like the neck they are available with both with the standard wide neck (1 3/4" at the nut) and a jazz-dimension (1 1/2" at the nut) necks.
  9. Bernie

Dec 12, 1999
    Check out the Epi Casady bass.TTT-They're GRREEEAAAAATT!!!!!