looking for good bass effects

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by peanut, Feb 2, 2006.

1. peanut

Jan 26, 2006
    redondo bch.
    I'm a amatuer bass player and now i just want to experiment with some effects. I am looking for a effect pedal board and i am looking for some advice on different effects. can some one help me.:(
  2. Steve Lawson

Steve Lawson Solo Bass Exploration! Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2000
    Birmingham, UK
    I think you'll get a better range of answers in the 'effects' forum - so I've moved this over there...

3. Hey peanut,

You need to be more specific. Name some songs with sounds you like, or at least a genre.

Alternativly get a multi FX e.g. Boss ME-50B which has a basic version of pretty much ever effect under the sun, then you can find what you like and upgrade what works for you in the future.
  4. The ME-50b has effects presets that you can change to fit your needs or some types of songe whatever. It does not have any cab or amp modeling, But that makes things more confusing. I use the ME-50B with my Bass Pod if I need amp or cab simulators. It works out pretty good. The Me-50 is pretty versatile and is fun to play with to see what kinds of sounds you can get out of it.:cool:
  5. a good effect unit?
    Eventide H8000 :)

anyways, what kind of music do you play?

also, my recommendation for a first time pedal user is to get a mulit-fx unit, like the Zoom BFX708, Digitech BP series, or something like that...the effects aren't great, but it should give you a better idea on what kind of effects you want...
  6. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Tell us about yourself.

What music do you play? What basses do you play through what amps? What are you looking to accomplish? Budget? etc.
  7. 3NotesAbar

Jul 3, 2005
    i second what Superbassman2000 said about getting multi fx...its the most cost-effective way to try to most things. And trust me, diving into the world of effects is expensive and yields a steep learning curve. :help:

edit: forgot to add that I have a Boss GT6B, and wished right now that i had gotten the ME50B instead, as i feel that the cab/amp simulations from the Boss unit really throw me off, as i have to balance ALOT of patches via EQ to make sure my sound has somewhat of a consistency. If u really want to explore that, try the POD XT live.
  8. BassIsFun17

BassIsFun17 Supporting Member

Jan 16, 2006
    all i can say is,

dont get the digitech bp-80