Looking for good flats to go on a 5 string jazz.

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by 5string5fingers, Sep 5, 2010.

1. I'm a huge chromes man, and have used 5 string chromes,but it's been so long i remember next to nothing about them. I've heard others talking of the B string being stiff and just thuds. I don't have 80 dollars to spend on TI flats. So what are you 5 string players out there using for flats that have tight tension,but still have definition.

I was looking at labella deep talkin flats.

2. bassdaddyfive

bassdaddyfive

Feb 12, 2009
    Kenosha Wi.
    LaBella deep talking flats. The feel is good with a balanced tone. The only flat-wound I use now. The low B string uses a taper core for the area that contacts the bridge.

3. interesting re the B string having a tapercore on the LABELLA flats 5's. I've only tried Chromes as far as flats on a 5'er & I like 'em pretty much. Otherwise I've used a 4 string set of chromes & a regular ROUNDWOUND for the LOW B- seems to be a good option IME.

4. lmfreeman9

lmfreeman9 Supporting Member

Sep 1, 2007
    Arizona
    Thomastik Infeld Jazz Flats

5. sadowsky flats

6. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member Commercial User

May 17, 2005
    Bend, Oregon
  7. MCN

MCN

Feb 8, 2007
    Ann Arbor, MI
    +1

8. Gizmot

Gizmot

Mar 22, 2009
    Nashville area
    I'm using Chromes right now and they have surprising mids and highs - a very good value. However, since you're only going to have to replace flatwounds once every blue moon, I'd spend the dough and get the Thomastik-Infelds.

9. Altitude

Altitude An ounce of perception, a pound of obscure. Supporting Member

Mar 9, 2005
    Denver, nee Austin
    I've got a set of Sadowsky flats that I put on my Valenti J5 sometimes. I'm not really a flats guy, but they do sound really good. If I had a more active session schedule, I would probably keep a J strung up with them as a great option for that tone.

10. moshuajusic

moshuajusic

Nov 25, 2009
    Do NOT waste money on 5-string TI flats. For 4-string, they're amazing, and by far my favorites. But their low B is significantly weaker than the other 4 strings. You'll have to compensate with your technique. The Chromes low-B is also a bit weaker, though not as bad as the TIs. FWIW, my bass is 35" scale, so maybe these 2 low-Bs will magically become even with the other 4 strings on a 34" scale, but I can't see why.

I'd go with Sadowsky. Rotosound makes great sounding flats with a strong low-B, but they're overall weak in output. Or if you wanna splurge, TI flats for the first 4 strings + TI Jazz Round low-B.

11. EDIT: Sorry...90 dollars..

12. moshuajusic

moshuajusic

Nov 25, 2009
    No, they're not even $70...
    http://www.juststrings.com/toi-jf345.html

But still not worth it IMHO, thanks to the weak low-B. Though if you have a really light touch and never like to dig in, then it might work.

13. LOL no...thats why I was looking at the deep talkin flats for their high tension. I have a pretty heavy right hand,and need the tension. I'd probably sound like fieldy if i played with TIs.

14. peterpalmieri

peterpalmieri Supporting Member

Apr 19, 2005
    Babylon, NY
    I have TI jazz flats on my Valenti 5 string 60s jazz currently, I've also had them on my Alleva Coppolo 5 string P which I no longer own and have used them on my two Alleva Jazz basses.

NEVER was the b string weak in comparison to the other strings and for me that balance is critical. I wouldn't agree with that blanket statement based on my own experience.

I believe I paid $67 for mine and since they last years rather then months the added expense doesn't seem to be a huge deal...

15. moshuajusic

moshuajusic

Nov 25, 2009
    Don't most flats last a long time? I owned 2 sets of TI 5-string flats as well, long scale through the back of the bridge, and extra long scale through the body. Even with the Q-tuners' adjustable pole pieces, I couldn't get the low-B as strong as the other 4 strings. Even acoustically I could hear the difference. Put a TI Jazz roundwound on the bottom and it's much better.

And to the OP, you'd probably have to file the nut a bit to accommodate the .136 gauge. :meh:

16. Don't kill me, but I have a set of old TI Spirocore orchestral URB strings on my Squier CV Precision with a Chi-sonic. They are a good tension (IMO), heavy and versatile at the right hand (move around bridge to neck = very different tones), and smooth/silky at the left hand (No clank with medium action). I have the truss rod cranked, but not all the way like I had with the LaBella Jamersons. I do have to note that these do not have the same attack/sustain characteristic as other flats I've tried, the transient (spiky attack, fast decay) is very fast and punchy but the sustain is very long at a lower than average volume compared to Chromes (which sound like poop to me). I play URB so I had easy access to old strings. Maybe you can get some old set from someone here on the URB forums? I play URB so I had easy access. Also you can use the low E URB as the Low B on the electric and not have the tension so high. I use this bass for dub, reggae, and DnB. It tracks exceptionally well with my OC-2 and worked well with my MXR M288 that I had. I like it WAY better than my '04 MIA Jazz which had those same strings on it at one time. Now I only use the Jazz for rock, and it is good at that.

17. Stanley Pugh

Stanley Pugh

Jun 14, 2008
    Chromes = high tension good sound.
    Detroit medium = softer good sound.
    Rotosound 88 tru bass black nylon =low tension good sound.
    All three play well and record well, they all sit in the mix where they belong.
    Your preference could be quite different but any good quality flat works for me.

18. garmenteros

garmenteros Bass Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008
    Dominican Republic
    I just bought some ernieball group IV flats for a 5 string, anyone have any experience with these?

19. I got some Rotosound Jazz 77s yesterday and I like the low B more than when I was using rounds!

20. GM60466

GM60466

May 20, 2006
    Land of Lakland
    Chromes work fine for me

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 20, 2021