Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

looking for good flats

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by blong1, Mar 12, 2001.

1. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    hi all,
    i have decided to try some flats on my 5 string warwick and need some advice. i've never used them before so i don't know what is good and what isn't. i don't really have the cash for TI's right now, so i need something a little cheaper. and i'm not a big fan of steel roundwounds, but i don't know if there is a big difference between them and nickel when it comes to flats. any advice on some that don't have alot of string noise, are warm and punchy, and feel good on the fingers?

2. Although, I sort of like the TI Flats (except I won't actually use them because I find them too thin) a good cheaper alternative would be the D'Addario Chromes. They have a really smooth feel and aren't as 'dead' sounding as some (although some folks like that in a flat!).

3. Flatwound

Flatwound Supporting Member

Sep 9, 2000
    San Diego
    There was someone here, I forget who, who put Chromes on his fiver and liked them. I don't have a five, and I don't like Chromes, but maybe he'll post, or you could do a search. I think it was within the last month.

4. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Flatwound - that might have been me. Like Rob W I used TI Jazz Flats and loved the tone but hated the thin feel and rubbery tension. I tried D'Addario Chromes on my Roscoe Beck 5 with nice result. They have tighter tension than the TIs and the tone is great. Not as "woody" in the midrange as the TI's but excellent flatwound thump. I found them a little like Labella flats which I also like a lot.In fact I like the Chromes so much that I bought another set to put on my '75 Precision that is tuned BEAD.Anyone want to buy a Chromes "G" string?

5. blong1

blong1 Supporting Member

Apr 10, 2000
    Alabama
    thanks for the replys guys. let me ask a question though. how do the chromes compare to a nickel plated flat as far as sound and fret wear. i put some Ernie Ball flats (only because they were nickel)on my warwick yesterday. i like them ok, except for the b string. i get very, very low response and sound out of it. don't know if it is just a dead string or what.

6. DaveB

DaveB

Mar 29, 2000
    Toronto Ontario
    Nickel flats will be warmer than steel flats by definition. The TI Jazz Flats are nickel but a lot a guys find Jazz Flats "bright" as flats go.But I guess compared to what? The Chromes, to me, are "brighter" than Jazz Flats by virtue of the midrangy nature of the Jazz Flats.

It's an expensive experiment but, in the end, you have to try them and let YOUR ears decide.