Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for good Fuzz Pedal Recs

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by ejholow, May 18, 2005.

1. ejholow

ejholow

May 5, 2005
    I'm going on tour and need a fuzz pedal for one song. Must maintain the low end. Any Recs?

2. older russian ehx big muff...prescription electornics depth charge is very capable of a good fuzz too, and it has a blend knob...if u can find a maestro bass brassmaster (yeh, right)...or black cat bass octave fuzz

those r my recommendations...yeh...

3. echo008

echo008 Supporting Member

Jan 30, 2004
    Long Island, NY
    I myself have a Big Muff, which I feel lacks a little in the low end but I just played through my guitar players Fulltone '70 Fuzz and it was warm and thick with no loss of low end, it really sounded great ... now I just need to get her to trade!
    - Tom

4. atoni

atoni

Jan 23, 2004
    Helsinki, Finland
    Endorsing Artist: Salo Guitars
  5. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Electro-Harmonix English Muff'n retained plenty of low end while being quite gritty.

Also, the Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde is another of my personal favorites.

6. mksolid

mksolid

Jan 4, 2005
    Brooklyn
    I havent used it but Demeter makes a fuzz pedal. Has anyone here ever tried that?

7. Secondhandloser

Secondhandloser

Mar 28, 2005
    Big Muff Pi, and a loooper pedal with blend control... clean signal has the low-end, fuzz has the high end...

8. Tedintheshed

Tedintheshed Banned

Oct 8, 2004
    Columbus, Ohio
    I can personally vouch for the Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz. The low end cuts through two 100 watt half stacks that I play with and really has a mean, nasty fuzz if you want.

Ted

9. 43% burnt

43% burnt an actor who wants to run the whole show

May 4, 2004
    Bridgeport, CT
    I wondered about that one...never tried it though. Sounds good w/ bass??

PE Depth Charge is supposed to be great...never had a chance to try one though. Not the easiest pedals to find :(

10. gfab333

gfab333

Mar 22, 2000
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Voodoo Sparkle Drive lets you blend your fuzz/overdrive with your clean bass signal with no loss of bottom. great pedal!

11. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    +1 for that. It isn't quite as dirty as a big muff but retains the definition between notes and has great low end. A perfect trade off to me. Dont get me wrong, it can still get nasty if you need it to :smug:

12. frantone lo-tone classic fuzz. good tone for any kind of fuzz you want.

13. Schizoid75

Schizoid75

Apr 27, 2005
    Columbus, OH
    I don't have any experience with any of the other pedals mentioned, but I must say that I love my ZVex Wooly Mammoth. It does not like getting any kind of line level signal or being used in an effects loop. To really hear it shine, it probably needs to be first in your chain. Once that's taken care of, wonderful tones. The EQ knob is very versatile and can definitely preserve (or to my ears, enhance) your low end. Only downside is that it's battery only and while the battery does last forever, I always have to remember to unplug mine at the end of the night.

14. pepsican

pepsican

Oct 23, 2004
    iowa
    I have clips of the muff'n up here:

http://www.myspace.com/nintendoom

The fuzz setting is up about 1/2 way and it is the only pedal in my signal chain besides a boss tuner.

15. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    you can find them at musictoyz: http://www.musictoyz.com/guitar/pedals/pres.php

WANT ONE.

16. I'll put in a vote for the VL Sparkle Drive - although mine was modded by a local guy to improve bass response.

One I particularly like is the Prescription Electronics Experience pedal - very fuzzy fuzz with the bonus of octave up fuzz if you want it. I've been amazed at how well it handles the bass.

17. I almost bought one, but since I already had a Black Cat I decided on the Fulltone to add to my pedal board

18. David Wilson

David Wilson Administrator Staff Member Administrator Supporting Member

Oct 14, 2002
    Lower Westchester, NY
  19. big muff pi is fine. to keep the bass, just keep the tone knob to the left.

20. psi

psi

Mar 11, 2005
    New Jersey
    Zvex Wooly Mammoth = excellent fuzz.