Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for Guinnea Pigs

Discussion in 'Off Topic [DB]' started by anonymous0726, Apr 14, 2004.

1. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    I'm writing a service web site so as to compliment (actually BE) my income. I'm looking for a few good lab-rats to test this thing for me. The 'artist level' service that I'm offering here is completely up and running and just needs to be debugged, ironed, and fleshed out.

I won't go to lengths to describe it here, but at the site there is plenty of description. For the first ten test-pilots I'm offering free lifetime membership in my service, so check it out:

http://www.PaperTheCity.com

..and help support your local bass player....

2. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    37 views and not a single taker or comment? Hmmm. Maybe I'm not on to something.

3. Phil Smith

Phil Smith Mr Sumisu 2 U

May 30, 2000
    Peoples Republic of Brooklyn
    Creator of: iGigBook for Android/iOS
    Actually I had a similiar idea essentially a way for bands to list their upcoming gigs with the ability for the application to send out the email. Currently it's something that is working that I just use for myself. I also have the calendar thing as well that's group based i.e. a way for a band to manage the time of the members to see who's free for a gig or a rehearsal.

I did check out your site and registered. One problem I see is with the userid, it's case sensitive, which is what you don't want, though you do want the password to be case sensitive.

4. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    I hate to say this, but don't you think most people already have their own systems going (like Phil) through stuff like yahoogroups? You might have something with like a local events directory but by now it's pretty easy to set up your own mailing list with yahoogroups.com or topica.com or something like that.

I dont' mean to be a naysayer, but you have to somehow get those folks to stop using whatever they are and jump onto your system.

If I could only come up with the 'killer' webservice I would've been rich years ago. Instead I quit working for lameass dot.commie startups and now have gotten into a stable company (thank god).

But of course nothing is impossible.

Just my $.02.

5. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    The artist level stuff, sure there are a few ways to do this. This, though, is just a subset of what I'm offering in total, and it is far lower in maintenance than anything that I'm aware of -- inlcuing Yahoo groups. Thanks for the pennies, however.

I'll fix the username bit. Good call, although I personally don't mind it all being case-sensitive -- but I'm a C++'er at heart and did that intentionally....

6. Ed Fuqua

Ed Fuqua

Dec 13, 1999
    NYC
    Chuck Sher publishes my book, WALKING BASSICS:The Fundamentals of Jazz Bass Playing.
    But RAY, I don't got a website, I don't got a big GigSpam list, and most of the stuff I'm doing these days is private or nothing special enough that I want to let the world know about (I mean SOFIA'S is fun and all, but I don't really need to try to get a crowd out for that, right?)

So what can your webservice do for me, lately? And by that I mean, I'd love to sign up for free stuff, I just don't think I would be a viable test subject.

7. John Sprague

John Sprague Sam Shen's US Distributor

Mar 10, 2003
    Rochester, NY
    Sales Manager, CSC Products Inc.
    Hi Ray,
    A question and some constructive criticism:

Is Paper the City! itself going to be one of the places where all shows will be listed, a "where to go tonight" resource? That could drive alot of site traffic.

For the LookandFeel aspects of the site, you may want to hook up with a designer to pretty things up for you, and to really get serious a copywriter to tighten up the lingo into easily digested chunks.

Good luck man,
    John

8. anonymous0726

anonymous0726 Guest

Nov 4, 2001
    Look and feel has definitely not been worked on at all and the verbage does have to be cleaned up. I've been spending all of me time under the hood thus far.
    PTC is going to be a clearing house for information rather than a place where people go look things up, at first anyhow. There are about a billion places where one can see what's 'happening tonight'. The problem with all of them is that they have limited information. What I'll be doing is pumping all of those places full of info -- making thier product better and taking a load off of the folks who want to advertise their events.

Once I have the thing rolling and bringing in a little cash, my first hires will be people to make the site 'cool' looking and easy to understand.