Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for hard, harsh distortion

Discussion in 'Effects [BG]' started by NicJimBass, Jun 20, 2005.

1. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Anyone have a suggestion for a hard, almost square-wave distortion? I'm going to try my DigiTech BSW soon, but is there anything out there for what I'm looking for? I don't want fuzz!!

2. Petary791

Petary791

Feb 20, 2005
    Michigan, USA
    I loive my Guv'nor, but good luck finding one (it's the vintage.) You could always go to GC and check out the Sansamp. I really want to try a Hartke VXL, but GC does't carry Hartke products.

3. AcousticBass

AcousticBass

May 28, 2005
    man i just got a boss mt-2 metalzone and my amp has the same amount of distortion, dude just buy a 20 dollar distortion pdal from that one araron brand man sereously.

4. tplyons

tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Don't discount this because of one pedal. I've played dozens of distortion boxes, and I'm always on the quest for that perfect overdrive tone.

I've frankly settled on an Electro Harmonix Big Muff Pi and a Visual Sound Jekyll and Hyde for the off the shelf units.

5. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    'harshness' makes me think of the zvex wooly mammoth.. its a fuzz but the line gets blurred sometimes..

6. ole Jason

ole Jason Supporting Member

Apr 3, 2003
    Louisville, KY
    a DOD death metal pedal will definately supply the harshness. Whether it'd be usable in a band situation is another issue entirely but it is definately a pretty wild sounding pedal on bass.

7. Homebrew Electronics Big-D...tremendous amounts of distortion, retains low end super well, "bigger" stomp switch to get extra gain/volume, 5 diodes to select from for various levels of drive (very wide range)...they run about $190ish www.tonefactor.com should definitely have them (custom colors r more expensive, but definitely cool looking)

8. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
  9. Tecx

Tecx Radio Rock Leads To Sterility

Jun 9, 2002
    Halifax, NS, Canada
    Not really... Fuzz and Distortion are created differently, and produce different wave forms/clipping dynamics... But this has been gone over a billion times, and Tim put a neat thing up in the Faq.

cheers

Alex

10. xan

xan

Sep 10, 2004
    Perth, Australia
    yes i have a vague understand of the differences of fuzz and distortion, but you must admit that the sound produced (the waveform), regardless of the production method, can tend to be similar. its kinda like the way you can get synthy sounds from a fuzz unit, or distortion sounds from a synth unit. perhaps my ear is just not as fine tuned as yours (i wouldnt doubt that given the pounding my eardrums get on a regular basis :) )

the wooly mammoth in particular tends to make a harsh blistering fuzz that may be what NicJimBass was after...

i will let this issue die however given that the threadstarter specially said they werent after a fuzz.

11. fretlessrock

fretlessrock Supporting Member

Aug 8, 2002
    Corrupticut
    Fuzz and Overdrive are created differently. Fuzz *is* a form of dostortion, as is overdrive. The thing about the original post i that i don't get is that the desire is heavy syquare-wave distortion, which is closest to what a fuzz box does, but he doesn't want a fuzz.

Anyhow, I really dig the SansAmp GT-2 for really heavy overdrive distortion. It sounds more like a real overdriven tube amp than any other OD box I have used. I like the "California" (= MESA) setting for bass, and you can make the thing go absolutely over the top by cranking up the drive.

12. NicJimBass

NicJimBass Is this thing on!? Supporting Member

Nov 22, 2004
    Lancaster, OH
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, Source Audio, Hipshot
    Fuzz to me is like turning on a TV channel with no signal, whereas a square-wave type sound is more defined and in your face. I dunno... I know what I hear in my head, but the problem is translating that to the page.

13. Groundloop

Groundloop

Jun 21, 2005
    Toronto
    You might want to try the Ibanez Phat Hed. They're in the Cheap n' Cheerful price category so if (like me) you live with it for a while and decide that it's not your flavour, you haven't burned a big hole in the wallet.

14. for a good example of the PD7, listen to Mew - "Am I Wry? No"...the intro has some solid hits w/ the distortion on...its actually quite tempting for me to try one out, but i have no desire to replace my BIG D or the distortion im building