Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for headstock shape ideas

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tjclem, Feb 9, 2005.

1. tjclem

tjclem Supporting Member Commercial User

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Owner and builder Clementbass
    I need headstock shape ideas for a 4 in line headstock for this body shape any ideas? Thanks. tom

2. Bassic83

Bassic83

Jul 26, 2004
    Texas, USSA
    Hey Tom, try incorporating themes of the body into your design. It may not be much help, but a small headstock with visual cues that reference the body would be my choice.

3. phatcactus

phatcactus

Apr 2, 2004
    Chicago, IL
    I'd take the shape of the lower horn's body wing and round off the straight part that attaches to the center. Maybe tweak the curves a lil' bit, and there ya got a beautiful headstock shape.

4. JSPguitars

JSPguitars

Jan 12, 2004
    Grass Valley
    I tend to go for design over funtion, then when I cut the peg holes, I get in trouble. I can never find a shape I like (big and curvy) when I try to incorporate the strings to run straight AFTER the nut. The strings are usually angled somewhat, but I WILL find a design where the strings are straight after the nut some day!!
    However, with big tuning pegs as on a bass, there is more room for play than with the little guitar ones, seems to me anyway.

5. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I have tried to think of somthing good for this bass, but everything I think of comes out looking too phallic.

That being said, I love angular headstocks that are 2x2 ot 3x2 for a 5 string.

6. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    "I have tried to think of somthing good for this bass, but everything I think of comes out looking too phallic."

I had the same problem so I am going with a tele style headstock...............t

7. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Looks like the "Cingular" bass again!! I liked the headstock that you used before, but being someone who likes a far amount of symmetry, if you took that headstock and added a little more "meat" to one side...

8. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Cingular? I like the other headstock too but I had these black 4 in line tuners I wanted to use.....So..

9. For some reason when I try to associate a 4 in line headstock with it, I picture a buzzard style- but a little more shapely/rounded. But maybe I'm just crazy.
    [​IMG]

About the "phallic" headstock problem- I know exactly what you mean. It also has been an issue for me when designing body shapes.

10. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    A while back, you had a bass and everyone thought it looked like the Cingular logo (Cingular = some wireless company). I see your conundrum now... not phallic... pencil and paper time!!

11. tjclem

Jun 6, 2004
    Central Florida
    Thanks I don't remember that thread. You got a link to it?...........t

12. teej

teej

Aug 19, 2004
    Sheffield, AL 35660
    Hmmm.... I'll look for it.

13. tjclem