Looking for help re: new amp rig

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by wgdspd, May 17, 2005.

1. wgdspd

May 17, 2005
    I'm not happy with the sound I'm getting from my current rig....I'd like to reduce the weight of my rig and improve the sound....cost is not a major issue....I'll pay up to optimize quality of sound and minimal weight tradeoff.

I play my '72 P Bass most of the time but switch back and forth to some extent with a Spector Fretless NS-2J. Current rig is a Workingman's 4004 head driving Workingman's 1X15 and Peavey 410 TVX. Components were acquired piecemeal over time. The sound is muddy and seems to deteriorate during a performance....presumably as the 4004 heats up.

I'm looking for a thumpy, ballsy low end but clear notes in all ranges. Oddly enough, I get a sound I'm quite happy with when using my little CRATE BX-25 with my SABDDI for practices. It's just not powerful enough or loud enough for a big room.

So, any advice/thoughts would be appreciated.
  2. tplyons

Apr 6, 2003
    Madison, NJ
    Check out old Peavey Mark bass amps. A Mark VI can be had for about $150 pushing 240 watts. Put that through a Peavey 115 and the sound is to die for. Also check out Gallien Krueger.
  3. Plain Old Me

Plain Old Me

Dec 14, 2004
    What do you play? If cost is definately not an issue, you could check out a Walter Woods, at under 8 lbs they are 1200 watts. No hands on experience with the tone, but most say its very clean. I know a guy whos looking into getting one soon.
  4. wgdspd

May 17, 2005
    Thanks for the replies. Also now realize i may have an impedance issue....4004 rated @ 4 ohms and one cabvinet is 8 ohms and the other 4 ohms.