1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for help using concentric pots in a PJ build (wiring diagram)

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by JGbassman, Apr 5, 2017.

1. JGbassman

JGbassman Supporting Member

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I posted the other day regarding ideas how to wire a set of EMG Gzr Butler pickups in a three hole pick guard, or the standard vol/tone set up.

I decided to go with the concentric pots, vol/tone for each. As I was researching, I found a guy who wires a set for jazz basses that one can use either tone knobs as a master for the tone. This would be perfect for what I want to do.

I've added the sellers description of what his system does.

image.jpeg

So I'm wondering if this would be the right wiring diagram for this? To get the master tone working?

image.png

This is a picture of the sellers wiring.

image.png
    Lastly, I noticed the caps in the diagram being a .50/.47in the neck, and a .30/.22 in the bridge? The emg set seems to have one .47 for both pickups. Should I run two .47's ? The .30 and .22 would seem a little a brite, but what do I know.

Any help here would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advanvce.

2. As they say in Asia, "Up to you!".

If you want both tone pots to work exactly the same, then use the same value capacitor.

If you want one brighter, then use the lower value cap on that one.

Your values are off BTW, 47 nanoFarad & 22 nanoFarad is what you're talking about, aka .047 uF & .022 uF respectively.

I'd put two 33 nF in there, and that way if you roll back all the way on one & it's still not enough, you can roll back on the other one too. (essentially giving you 66 nf or .066 uF of capacitance total)
    Two 47 nF caps rolled all the way back would leave you with mud.

I'm not sure it's so easy to find 30 nF caps, but 33 nF caps are common.

BTW, they don't need to be rated for 100 Volts, as the power/volts in a bass is very minimal.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2017
  3. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I get that, I will probably run both as .47 as that's what emg has for the set. I love the sound of the p pickup, as I have that already in a bass. If the p/j set is at the same level of sonic goodness, I don't want to mess with their results. I can always change pots, but it's a little more of a hassle with the set up like this, I'd rather have it dialed in the first time.

I'm not sure how the linked tones would react with different values for the caps. Just thinking out loud here.

4. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    Lol yes, I meant. .047. Didn't mean to throw things off

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  5. JGbassman

May 31, 2011
    Cedar Rapids, Iowa
    I've looked at the wiring diagram, and the picture of the finished wiring, and the look the same from what I can see. Any thought on that?

6. There isn't any point in having two of the same value capacitor. If you had isolated tone controls, then it would make sense, but the entire point of having two master tone controls is for each one to work differently.

Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA

Ran across this post while searching for info and thought I'd necro it to ask a very basic question.

The white wires are the hot output, right?
    So, if you turn down the bridge volume, does it block the neck pup volume - like in series?

IOW - do you have to run an individual hot wire from each pot to the jack, or can you do it like in the picture
    and still have individual volume control from each pickup.

8. Those pickups have been wired in parallel, not series.
    The volume controls are independent from one another.

>> series wiring <<

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019
  9. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    OK.
    The white wire goes from the neck pot into the bridge pot and then into the jack. Like they're all in line or in series.
    If those are parallel, what would series wiring look like?

If that's too basic of a question, I'll continue on with my search.

10. Those are parallel because the + and - from each pickup end up in the same place, the tip and sleeve of the jack (I know they go through the volume and tone controls first but I'm shooting for a simple example).

Series would have the + from one pickup going to the tip connection for the jack. The - from the same pickup would connect to the + of the second pickup. The - of the second pickup would go to the ring terminal of the jack.

Series and parallel in this case refer to the electronic connection of the pickups not the physical routing of the wires.

11. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    I just wired mine up like that. I have to have both neck pot knobs wide open.
    It still won't make sound until I open the bridge pickup volume knob, and even then, it's got a pretty quiet sound.

I must have done something drastically wrong. Back to the drawing board. :(
    I'm going to try a wire from each pots output to the jack.

12. You're probably taking the output from the wrong lug.
    from the pickup to the center lug & output from the counterclockwise lug
    If you put two wires to the jack from the wrong lug it will act the same as it currently is.

You didn't use a Les Paul or SG wiring diagram, did you?
    They're wired like that, which doesn't work well for blending.

13. felis

felis

Jul 31, 2013
    Midwest, USA
    OK - got it. Boneheaded beginner mistake. I had a big glob of solder on the back of a pot
    that I couldn't get 5 wires to stick to.
    So I soldered two of the wire ends together and soldered them onto one of the ground terminals. Ended up with this - :poop:

Just cut those wires and held them by hand to the back of the pot and all is good now. :hyper:
    Just have to solder them back on tomorrow. Had enough headaches for one day.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2019