1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for help

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [DB]' started by Duce-hands, Oct 9, 2013.

1. Duce-hands

Duce-hands

Nov 4, 2010
    Preface: I understand nothing can replace the input and feedback from a qualified instructor, however none is currently available in my area.
    After years of playing electric bass, I've finally got an acoustic upright bass. Well know I need to learn how to play it. What I am looking for is source material, whether it be book, video or a combination of both that can help me with the technical challenge of playing upright, and provide me with a solid road map for navigating the early stages of mastering the instrument. Any information is greatly appreciated. Thank

2. Simandl.

3. Tom Lane

Tom Lane Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I can't think of any combination of videos and books that goes through all of the nuances of learning to play any instrument. A DVD series might be an opportunity for someone. There are a lot of YouTube videos. Some of them are great, but there's a lot of trash out there too.
    I was going to say that the upright's challenges make it particularly difficult to teach without personal contact, but after I thought about that a bit, I think that's true of all of the instruments I'm familiar with. The bass might be unique in that it might hurt you more quickly than other instruments.
    My recommendation is to find a well-experienced teacher whose playing you admire and see if they'll Skype with you. Even a few lessons will make a big difference. Skype's almost certainly not as convenient as being in the same room, but if there's no one close by, that's probably the next best thing.

4. megafiddle

megafiddle

May 25, 2011
    This is one of the best videos I've ever seen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4yTyOeCCgWc

Also check out John Clayton's Bass Tips, also on youtube.
    I just started watching Clayton's myself. They look excellent.

If an instructor is out of the question, I would begin with the integrity of the bass itself.

It's not an easy instrument, but it should not be painful or very difficult to play. You might
    want to describe your initial experience with the bass right here on a forum, and get some
    feedback right away. The first thing to do is make sure the bass is playable.