Looking for Hi-Beam string tension without the harsh feel

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by RSmith, Jan 28, 2005.

1. Hey all,
    I dig DR strings! Hi beams are my latest choice because of the string tension (not as taunt as Low Riders). I play a Sterling and a Yamaha TRB5P and I notice I when the strings are less then a month old I get a little more of that harsh scraping noise then I'd like when changing positions ect.. I realize you can adjust your technique some but I'm wondering if anyone has any suggestions on strings that have tension similar to high beams but aren't quite as harsh in regards to finger noise.

The bass player article on strings shoud've had a tension column as well. Thanks in advance for your feedback!
  2. jvbjr

Jan 8, 2005
    Stiffness is the result of the diameter of the inner core, the thicker it is, the stiffer the string plays.

String noise can be eliminated by playing flatwounds, or you can go 1/2 rounds as a compromise of keeping your highs and no noise.

You can compare brands on line, or if you like DR, call them.
  3. Sun-Beams! Made the same way as Hi-Beams (roundcore) but nickle plated. They're little less bright sounding and less harsh feeling. Tension is the same.
  4. Not ready for flatrounds but I will try Sunbeams then half-rounds if needed. After I posted this I stumbled accross a product description for Sunbeams and they sound like what I'm looking for.