1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for high-ratio tuners...

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by frits51, Sep 25, 2017.

Tags:
  1. frits51

frits51 Supporting Member

Apr 30, 2011
    Heath, Texas
    My daughter-in-law has an Ibanez Mikro. I put Hipshot Licensed Ultralites on it and she says that's an improvement. However, with only a 28.6" scale, tuning is still pretty touchy. I think the Hipshots are a 20:1 ratio. I believe some tuners with 24:1 or higher ratio would make tuning easier.

Anybody know where I can find some high-ratio tuners?

Thanks!

2. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    Schaller makes two, the BM light and their M4S Light tuners are both 22:1 ratio.
    Bass Machine Heads | Schaller

If you are willing to go to full size tuners you can get ratios up to 28:1.

There's a trade off on the compact tuners and the ratio is one of them. Changing from a 1/2" capstan to a 3/8" will have the effect of raising the ratio as the outside circumference will only be 75% the length. That is, on a 20:1 tuner and a 1/2" capstan when you turn the key 20 revolutions the post turns one revolution and will shorten the string 1.57 inches whereas a 3/8" post will only shorten the string 1.18 inches. That means you'd have to turn the key 6-7 more revolutions to take up an additional .39 inches of string, effectively giving you a turning ratio of 26 or 27:1, here the trade off is in the gauge strings you can wind onto the tuner.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2017
  3. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    I know this is an old thread, but I stumbled on it, so others may as well. Just as an update, the new Ratio tuners form Graph Tech range down to a 48:1 and look like they'd fit a modern bass headstock better.

RATIO MACHINE HEADS - Bass

imabuddha likes this.
  4. sissy kathy

sissy kathy Back to Bass-ics Gold Supporting Member

Apr 21, 2014
    Arbutus, MD
    I didn't read the add. So this may be non-applicable. Generally speaking finer teeth on you cog means the shear limit for the teeth is lower. I have no idea when that becomes problematic, but it's something to consider.

EDIT: I went back and read the ad. They use a hour glass shaped worm gear so instead of having 3 teeth engaged it has six or seven teeth engaged. It also uses a hardened gear cog, negating my concerns.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2020
    RodRy likes this.
  5. RodRy

RodRy

Jul 1, 2018
    Kalamazoo, MI
    Currently, I'm filing the new Ratio tuners as sounding too good to be true, until I can get them. Once I do, I'll report back what I think.

Qlanq likes this.