Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for Ibanez Muscian

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mattzink, Aug 21, 2002.

1. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    I'm posting this question after reading the earlier thread about Ibanez Musician basses.

I would like to find a nice, four string Ibanez Musician fretless. I have emailed the guy at ibanezvintage.com and haven't recieved a supply (at least not yet). Can any of you tip me off on where else to find one?

also, i know that these basses are lauded as being high quality instruments, esp. considering the price paid. does anyone know any flaws on this bass?

2. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    There are no flaws in any bass from the Ibanez Musician series. Mine was heavy until I got used to it. Now I understand that the flaw is with other basses that are made too light. Good Luck with your search.

3. Having owned one, I can say for sure that there aren't any flaws when it comes to fit and finish of the instrument. I've heard some say that the pups aren't to their liking but like any subjective observation YMMV. The only problem that I can see with the pups is that they are of a proprietary size and might not be able to be replaced with a glove fit.

Understand that these were made in the late 70's and early 80's. Basses from that era weren't often active so the electronics might be a bit antiquated by 21st century standards. But one thing these basses had (at least the upper end models) is parametric EQ. The other thing to keep in mind is that the condition of the bass won't be perfect, having had 20+ years of play on it. Expect cosmetic flaws. I would expect you to be paying anything from $250 - $450 for nice specimens.

Best bet for locating one is ebay. I regularly see them in all models on there in the price range I mentioned. I even saw a completely stripped instrument with absolutely no hardware that went for $175!! Unfortunately, I wasn't in a position to buy at that time or I would've snatched it up.

4. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    I got mine used and the pups had already been replaced w/ Barts. The bridge one looks like a direct replacement, but for some reason they didn't buy two and the neck pup is very large and sits in a larger hole.

5. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    jondog - are you selling yours? if so, can you post a picture?

6. jondog

jondog

Mar 14, 2002
    NYC metro area
    Everybody always wants to buy mine! :D

I've posted about it before, here's the long version. I traded a good condition Yamaha DX-11 for a fretted '79 MC-924 w/Barts and Kahler trem. Good trade in my book. The bass is only in good condition. Multiple dings and the large pup hole. Sounds awesome. When I first got it, the action was high. I tried setting it up w/ only a little success. I thought the neck needed a pro tweak, but after playing it a lot, I know the neck is fine - it's actually really great! Comfy and substantial.

The action problem comes from the after-market Kahler. Mine has the original design w/the rollers closest to the bridge pup. If you lower the action too far, the string buzzes against the bridge assembly because it's not taut over the roller.

If it was a bolt-on, I could shim the neck. I've thought about getting a dremel and redoing the rout to sink the bridge in 1/4" or so, but for now I just play with the higher action because it's such a great bass. I don't gig it now but I did through a lot of '00-'01.

No pix, but here's a blurry ad from ebay.

7. I have a 1979 900DS (don't know what the DS stands for) that I bought brand spanking new at Alex Music (which is no more) on 48th St. in Manhattan in May of 1981.

A lot of you whipper - snappers weren't even born yet back then. hee-hee :D

These basses were of top line quality and construction. They had their own sound which was actually very good, and VERY versatile. Almost EB-O type depth to almost Musicman sizzle. But, they were heavy. Another oddity about these basses is that, IMHO they sounded better the louder you put the amp. If you played them in an intimate setting they were definitely O.K., but, through a powerful amp they were amazing. Mine is in mint condition and not for sale. It's one of the few musical treasures I still have from my youth. :)

Mine is on the left. http://216.250.245.172/musbass.html

Good luck in your search. They were/are excellent!

Mike J.

8. It wasn't until a few years ago that I learned that the bass I owned (a 924 by any other name) was unusual in it's nameplate designation. The trussrod cover was embossed with "Artist EQ" but none of the Ibanez literature seems to mention it. I learned that it was possibly one of 400 made with that designation. I got that info from the late founder of the vintageibanez website.

I recently saw a perfect 1979 single pup model that went for $175 on ebay.

9. mattzink

mattzink

Jun 21, 2002
    Bloomington, IN
    "bassplayin4god" posted an extremely hot tip (see above). it is EXACTLY what i want! i've called bass northwest, i'm really really thinking about getting it. the price is a bit stiff based on what i've seen some musicians going for, but based on what y'all have said, it looks like it's worth it. i'm hesitating because i am getting married on aug. 31 and want to make sure i have enough money for the honeymoon, etc. i'm pretty sure i do. i may go for it.

my brother says "it's easier to ask for forgiveness than permission". maybe we'll see about that

anyways, i'll keep all of you musician fans posted. i'm also thinking about a tacoma thunderchief, but for a number of reasons, i might just have to get the musician.

and regardless of what happens, i owe bassplayin4god a big fat thanks. i was so happy to get that link!

11. fcoda

fcoda

Jan 23, 2002
    Nanuet,NY
    The difference between the MC900 & 924 is the 924 has a tone control , the 900 only has the volume and eq gain contol. I have also have a MC900 with 3 band eq and never found the need to change anything on the bass.. it is still stock.
    It doesn't get much playing time ..... moved on to a MM5 ... use it for a back up at least until I find a J bass that sounds as good as the Ibanez.