1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Looking for ideas - 1/2" mahogany blank

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by tracer03, Oct 2, 2009.

1. So, I'm planning my first build, and decide to visit a local lumberyard that (I've heard) carries exotic woods and luthier stock. While I'm sniffing about in the lumberyard, admiring the bubinga and curly maple, I run into one of the yard managers, and start asking questions...

I'm interested in mahogany (I was planning on using it as the core of my winter project), so he points out the stock and answers my questions. Unfortunately, they don't have any 1" thick stock at the moment - just 1/4" planed.

We chat a bit more, and all of a sudden, his face lights up. "Hey, I have a piece of mahogany that I don't think will sell - it's 26 in. by 17" by 1/2" - would you be interested?"

I tell him I'm really looking for 1" or so, and I don't have the cash on me for a purchase. "That's okay, we were going to scrap it or just use it as a demo piece. No charge."

:confused:

So, I have a free body-sized blank of mahogany. 26 X 17 by about 1/2". Surfaced, pretty level, but might need a pass or two with the plane just to smooth it out.

Could I laminate some 1/2" ash/maple/wood to either side and make a decent blank? Anybody have any recommendations or suggestions?

2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Nov 8, 2001
    US-NY-NYC
    Hmmm...

Maybe for a more expensive build, the core; or for a cheaper first-timer build, a one-piece top, on top of poplar or whatever.

The 17" width in one piece is pretty cool.

3. I was thinking about using it as a core - ideally, I wanted to get some nice wood facings (I love natural facings) - but I'm unsure what wood to use around it.

I thought ash (for cost) or poplar - that would keep my cost under control: I could get some planed 1/2" ash/poplar for the front and back, laminate away, and still get some decent facings (I've got my eye on some 1/4" curly walnut at a local woodworking store).

4. sloasdaylight

sloasdaylight Banned

Feb 4, 2009
    Tampa, Florida, US
    Try and land yourself some swirly bubinga for the top, and maybe some maple in the back, so you get an interesting mix of colors when looked at from the side.

5. I actually just got a line on some spalted maple facings (5/16" thick, before sanding).

I starting to think a good ol' laminate sandwich may be cool. Mahogany core, a 1/2" thick 'middle' wood on both side, and the spalted maple facings might look unique...