looking for inexpensive 4 string with growl?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by ryan morris, Mar 23, 2002.

1. ryan morris

ryan morris Supporting Member

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I'm looking for a comfy 4 string with growl, or at least j or mm style pu/pu's...or pretty much any pu' besides split p style. I'm having my custom built and sold all of my good basses. All's I have left is a Peavey junker P-copy, and it's not even mine to modify. Anyways, I need an inexpensive used/new bass no matter what name brand, just nice quality and alright looks in the 200-250 range. So far I've just came across a Squire Jazz, and an OLP and a bunch of "ebay specials". There must be something else. Thanks, Ryan
  2. barroso

Aug 16, 2000
    what about a used MIM jazz?
  3. i gotta MIM jazz I'm getting rid of in that range...
  4. JayAmel

JayAmel Moderator Staff Member Supporting Member

Mar 3, 2002
    Aurillac, France
    I was told by a far-away friend he is VERY pleased with his new Cort New Action bass. Quite inexpensive, and seems to play and sound good.

You may also check the Steinberger Spirit basses, there are many excellent feedbacks about them.

All the best,
  5. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    After about 10 hours of searching last night I finally looked at the MTD Kingston and Heir. They both look like excellent basses and sound quite well too. I might have to look for a used one..but it should perform nice. If not, I would be real interested in that used MIM Jazz that you've got BoognishMang. Thanks, Ryan
  6. Aenema

Apr 18, 2001
    yeah man the kingston/heirs are sweet for the price. im thinkin about gettin one myself. my local music store has all their mtds on clearance because they arent carrying them anymore. just gotta dig up some money... :rolleyes:
  7. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Well, just bought a used MTD Kingston white, matching headstock, Maple board, Seymour Duncan Bassline Pu's. I can't wait to recieve it. If it sounds anything like I heard ( http://www.access-bass.com/pages/kingston.html ) it will be something else. For 275 I couldn't go wrong either. I just can't figure out why I've never checked them out before.
    Later, Ryan
  8. Oysterman

Mar 30, 2000
    With the right strings and the right touch, my MIM Jazz has an excellent growl. I managed to capture it in a recording too... see the "Castlevania" song in my sig.
  9. A Yamaha BB4N has a ton of growl. Very well made too, for a low priced bass. They're $369.00 at

www.musiciansfriend.com but, they are worth it. I have the 5 sting.

Mike J.
  10. Yes I would also put in a vote for a Cort New Action. I have a New Action 5 and a Artisan C-5. They are very similiar except for electronics and bridge they are they same. For me there is nothing better I was willing to pay up to $2000 for a bass and these are what I liked best.
  11. geshel

Oct 2, 2001
    Um, guys, notice the post where the thread starter mentions that he just bought a Kingston? :)
  12. Yes i did see that but I also realise that others may also want to know the same question. Just because the original poster found his answer doesnt mean nobody else wants to know that.
  13. Hankie

May 19, 2001
    :p Ryan, Where did yoy buy yor MTD Kingston. good price, I would buy at that price.
  14. ryan morris

Sep 11, 2000
    Chicago, IL
    Hey, I got it off of e-bay. It is so nice. I had bought it thinking I'd sell it when my custom came, but now I might just keep it. Anyways, if you see one for about the same price I'd say snatch it up. Later, Ryan