1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Looking for inexpensive, mod-able fiver. Fender?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by broughton.22, Mar 8, 2008.

1. broughton.22

broughton.22 Guest

Dec 28, 2007
    Columbus, OH, US
    I like Nordstrandt and Audere, now I just need an axe to put'em in! Because the electronics are going to be replaced, my only needs are good looks and good construction. Any advice? How are the Fender Standard V's?

(I tried searching for info on the Fender, but the inability to type in '5' or 'V' in the search bar is extremely prohibiting!)

2. If you are into modding, look into a SX.

lowsound

3. broughton.22

broughton.22 Guest

Dec 28, 2007
    Columbus, OH, US
    Seriously? SX never struck me as having good construction quality. The price and appearances are appealing, however.

4. MyUsernameHere

MyUsernameHere ?????????????

Nov 3, 2007
    Lexington KY
    I think a MIM Fender or Squire would be the best bet. Nothing against the other budget Fender-clones, but chances are you'll be able to find some MIMs or Squires at local shops and play them all until you find one that stands out. Price-point instruments will never have the same quality control as their more expensive brethren and some will be better than others. Never know what you'll get from ordering over the internet.

5. You would be surprised at the build quality of the SX basses. Also, Squier, IMO is a much better bargain than MIM.

SX basses are the ultimate modding platform, although IME, they are very playable right out of the box.

I just bought a Squier P-Bass Special 5 & I'm pretty impressed with the build quality but the pups are junk. It would also be a really nice modable bass.

SX=$120 New
    Special 5=$175 Used

6. Blues Bass 2

Blues Bass 2 Supporting Member

Oct 3, 2001
    Davenport Iowa
    The pickups in the SX Jazz 5's are really good sounding.I had a black one that I put an Audere in and also the black blocked maple fretboard neck.With the Audere it was a tone monster able to get great useable tones by flipping the three way mode switch.The only thing with the SX basses compared with the Fender MIM basses is the Fenders have a wider neck so if you slap the Fender might be a better choice.Here's a picture of my modded SX.

Basses015.

7. nickn

nickn

Oct 6, 2007
    Phoenix, AZ
    I ordered one of the SX 5-strings yesterday. I'll post a review when it gets here!