Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Looking for info from those with Aguilar experience...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by JPJ, Aug 10, 2002.

1. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    I'm still searching for cabs for my new rig, and about the only brand that I haven't tried is Aguilar. They have received good reviews in BP, but I just haven't had any experience with them. I would really like to hear from players who have played Aguilar cabs and can give me an evaluation and critique as to how they sound in relation to OTHER cabs that I HAVE tried (Bag End, Epifani, Glock, SWR, Eden, Ampeg, Berg, EA, etc.). I'm specifically looking for information about the 2X10 and the 1X15. Thanks.

2. camoe

camoe

Sep 7, 2001
    Lafayette, CO
    When I was demoing a Aggie db680, I played it through the Aggie 2*10 and my Bad End 2*10. Not a huge difference tonally but I felt the Bag End was a bit punchier and clearer in the midrange. All in all though, the Aggies are nice cabs, I just prefer the Bad End sound.

Peace

3. JPJ

JPJ

Apr 21, 2001
    Chicago, IL
    *bump*

Surely there is more than ONE guy who can add something.... :)

4. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    Aguilar's are similar to Eden in that it follows the low mid bump idea, but not nearly as aggressive. yet, i prefer its sound. punchie, but not as edgie.

i havent tried Bag End's, but i have tried a few Epifani 2x10's. the Aguilar doesnt have nearly as much bottom nor as clear, but it does sound eerily similar. maybe a poor man's Epi?

either way, they're great cabs and i doubt, you'd have trouble liking them.

5. Wxp4759cb

Wxp4759cb

Nov 23, 2000
    Kansas City, MO
    I think they fall somewhere between SWR and Eden. They sound more clear, and open than Eden (XLT), but alot fuller, and more organic than the SWR.

I really like the 2x12, its nice and throaty. Kinda dark sounding.

6. jokerjkny

jokerjkny

Jan 19, 2002
    NY / NJ / PA
    yea, aggie's 12" cabs are dark. but they're 10" cabs are pretty airy.