Looking for info on "Acoustic" heads

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs [BG]' started by slider_99, Sep 10, 2003.

1. slider_99

Sep 10, 2003
    Cambridge, MA
    Trying to find out as much information as I can about an Acoustic 370 head? As I was bringing trash to the curb yesterday, a neighbor was dragging this thing to the curb. I asked him about it and he stated it was his sons and has been sitting in his basement for years and years. I willingly accepted to take it and it seems to work - well at least it turns on. I don't have a cabinet to test it out.

Does anyone know about this manufacturer/model? Any info you can share will be greatly appreciated....
  2. Reefer

Reefer Guest

Mar 9, 2003
    I had one of those heads I bought new in 1977. I don't remember how many watts it was but it got real loud and sounded pretty good. It was definitely one of the better heads of its time.
  3. acoustic amps

this site has some neat info about acoustic gear.
  4. Those things are collectable!

If its in v good condition and works fine you could get a decent sum for it.
  5. slider_99

Sep 10, 2003
    Cambridge, MA
    Thanks for the info...
    Now I have to find a decently priced cabinet that I can run it with.
  6. Malcom

Oct 21, 2002
    The Midwest
    Jaco used the 360, if I remember right the 370 is basically a 360 with the poweramp in the head (as opposed to the 360's powered cab)
  7. OiBass

Apr 9, 2003
    Plus-You can run them at 2,4, or 8 ohm -
    They can be loud as hell if you don't mind the distortion
    Built like a tank!
    Also- Don't forget to put a dead plug(?)in the
    #2 input jack-keeps the wattage from escaping
    somehow (check the Acoustic message board- I
    forget all the how/why details)-best $1.50
    amp upgrade you could ask for!
  8. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The 370 is not the powered version of the 360. It has more straight forward controls, no fuzz, no electric tuning fork. I believe it outs out 300 watts into 2 ohms at close to 5% distortion.

Aston Familyman Barrett used one of these while working with Bob Marley. Also, and I have to double check this, there is footage of the Clash live with an Acoustic rig behind Paul. The head looked an awful lot like the 370.
  9. watspan

watspan Supporting Member

Nov 25, 2002
    madison, wi
    I'd ask the neighbor if he needs help hauling the matching 18" folded horn 301 cabinet out to the curb too!:D
  10. Planet Boulder

Planet Boulder Hey, this is a private residence...man Supporting Member

Nov 10, 2001
    6,482 feet above sea level
    I once had impure thoughts. Oh, and I pluck my ear hair.
    This looked like the righ tthread to post this on, so what the hell:

So, is a 360 head NOT powered? If not, and if you don't have a powered cab, how could you make this thing work? Can it be used in conjunction with a power amp?

11. ihixulu

ihixulu Supporting Member

Mar 31, 2000
    getting warmer
    The 360 is a preamp only and was sold as a "kit" with the matching powered 361 folded 18" cab.

You should be able to send the signal from the 360 into any poweramp.

BTW, do a Google search on "acoustic 360". You'll be surprised at the number of people who have built clones of the 360 as footpedals and whatnot. Once I get my EE skills up enough I'd like to try building a fuzz box based on the 360 fuzz.

also see www.acoustic360.com